• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lotus Sanitizing System by Tersano

dockhl

Has anyone used this? Sounds too good to be true, but has gotten a lot of good press:

Tersano’s lotus Sanitizing System is revolutionizing the household cleaning products industry through its patented Oxyshield™ process which turns ordinary tap water into a powerfully effective, yet harmless sanitizing agent. Water that is oxygenated with the lotus system is 50% stronger and 3,000 times faster than bleach as a cleaner, yet is safe enough for contact with a baby’s skin. It removes 99.99% of all toxins, germs, and bacteria; on fruits and vegetables it removes virtually all traces of pesticides—something that rinsing in ordinary water won’t do.

Here is an article on the release of its new smaller size:

Smaller Size available Spring 2008

I have one, I bought it last year from Costco. I have no way to prove it works other than what the literature says. The water after the process definitely smells like ozone. I wash all my greens, fruits and vegs in it before prep. I bought it after the spinach problem, but my intent was more curiosity than fear of bacteria. I've gotten in the habit of using it.

Hooray ! Someone has one! (I love eGullet :wub: )

I like the thought of it for cleaning greens, a lot, and fruit/vegetables. What about kitchen cleaning? I was wondering how it works on greasy residues---I cannot imagine that plain water does the trick. Tell me it does and I'm out the door to buy one !

I find that many chemicals (sometimes even the Method ones) make me wheeze. I love the concept of the Swiffer Wet Mop but can't stand the smell of it, even after it dries.

Also, an article that I read indicated that you could put sponges in the bowl and disinfect them. Have you done that? Does your produce last longer?

I found the INFOMERCIAL (clickety) to be very interesting.

Do you remember what you paid at Costco? Is it large? Do you keep it on your countertop and use it all the time?

(Sorry for asking so many questions.... :blush: )

Thanks~

Kathy

No, but if you are going to be washing your greens and vegetables anyway with a veggie wash (as some do) and using chemicals on your countertops, wouldn't you rather use water? I think the fewer chemicals of any type I am spraying around my house, the better.

LOL. No problem. Here's what I can answer for you and then some.

Bought it at costco.com ~ $100. I keep it on the countertop. Use it whenever necessary for food prep. It takes about 2-3 minutes to ozonate and its pretty loud, think blender noise.

It comes with a big bowl for the foods and a spray bottle for cleaning. I do use the spray bottle from time to time, but not enough to give a good reply on if using ozonated water is better that a normal cleaner/degreaser product.

I do my sponges in the dishwasher, so no on the sponge question.

I'd say the weirdest use I have for it is adding a couple bowls of ozonated water to my hot tub for disinfection. I don't like the smell of bromine or chlorine much. I have a small 2 person tub. Seems like its keeping the water fresher by using it there. But again, that's just my observation, no true measurement behind it. I change the water frequently in the tub anyway.

I can appreciate docsconz comment though. I grew up on a farm with a cow/calf operation. I suspect I was literally knee-deep and deeper in ecoli (manure) from time to time. Never had an issue. I bought this mostly because I'm a first-adopter with techie things to try it out. But I do like the idea of it, just in case.

Hooray ! Someone has one! (I love eGullet  :wub: )

I like the thought of it for cleaning greens, a lot, and fruit/vegetables. What about kitchen cleaning? I was wondering how it works on greasy residues---I cannot imagine that plain water does the trick. Tell me it does and I'm out the door to buy one !

I find that many chemicals (sometimes even the Method ones) make me wheeze. I love the concept of the Swiffer Wet Mop but can't stand the smell of it, even after it dries.

Also, an article that I read indicated that you could put sponges in the bowl and disinfect them. Have you done that? Does your produce last longer?

I found the INFOMERCIAL (clickety) to be very interesting.

Do you remember what you paid at Costco? Is it large? Do you keep it on your countertop and use it all the time?

(Sorry for asking so many questions.... :blush: )

Thanks~

Kathy

No, but if you are going to be washing your greens and vegetables anyway  with a veggie wash (as some do) and using chemicals on your countertops, wouldn't you rather use water? I think the fewer chemicals of any type I am spraying around my house, the better.

I would agree that it is likely better than the alternatives that you mentioned,but I think that sometimes we try too hard to insulate ourselves from the world and it becomes counterproductive. It is the idea of trying to make everything germ-free that I am questioning. When we sterilize things, we get rid of "good" germs along with the "bad." I am all for common sense and basic hygiene, but this along with the various washes and chemicals appears to me to be excessive - at least for routine use.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

No, but if you are going to be washing your greens and vegetables anyway  with a veggie wash (as some do) and using chemicals on your countertops, wouldn't you rather use water? I think the fewer chemicals of any type I am spraying around my house, the better.

I would agree that it is likely better than the alternatives that you mentioned,but I think that sometimes we try too hard to insulate ourselves from the world and it becomes counterproductive. It is the idea of trying to make everything germ-free that I am questioning. When we sterilize things, we get rid of "good" germs along with the "bad." I am all for common sense and basic hygiene, but this along with the various washes and chemicals appears to me to be excessive - at least for routine use.

John~

I'm puzzled. What do you use currently to wipe off a surface that has had raw meat on it? A cutting board that you can wash well in the sink is one thing, but what about your butcher block? Or countertops and kitchen sinks in general? Don't you want them to be as clean as possible?

I am not advocating the elimination of all bacteria with the (over)use of sterilizing agents but if I can kill of the ones that I don't want on my work surfaces with water rather than chemicals, I say why not? We all have to deal with the overuse of antibiotics and resistant strains developed. This is not that.

After the spinach e. coli problem in CA, I wash all of my greens really well, especially since I have a good friend in the ag industry who refuses to even buy greens from the farmer's markets since she has seen the contaminants first hand . I think it is simply prudent. I don't wash down all my kitchen surfaces with bleach every night, but I know some people who do. I don't want all of that in my house.

Best~

Kathy

Err...if its powerful enough to kill bugs, its not going to do you, or the surfaces it touches any good.

I guess it contains an ozone generator (elctrical discharge or srong UV light) pus some system to dissolve it in water. What you effectively are making is dilute hydrogen peroxide, plus probably some nitrous contaminants since the machine is making it from air. Why not just use hydrogen peroxide?