• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: More wine notes

Florida Jim

2005 Kim Crawford, Unoaked Chardonnay:

Smells sweet but has pleasant chardonnay fruit scents; is way too sweet on the palate with a cloying, canned pears syrup type of delivery and bears very little resemblance to wine. Very odd stuff considering I have found other vintages of this at least tolerable. 13% alcohol, imported by Vincor USA and price unknown; I wouldn’t buy it at any price.

2006 Edmunds St. John, Gamay Rosé Bone Jolly:

I think this is getting darker color as it ages; wonderful strawberry/raspberry scents with a vinous note and some mineral; much the same in the mouth with a juicy snap of acidity. ‘Half way through my second case and loving it.

13.2% alcohol and about $17; charming stuff.

Diane took spaghetti squash, used it as pasta and topped with a porcini, tomato reduction ragout and served it with crusty bread. To accompany, we tasted two really fine wines:

2004 Puffeney, Trousseau Les Bérangères:

Quite aromatic and complex on the nose; lots of black and red fruit flavors with earthy, stony, smoky nuance, good acidity, excellent concentration and considerable grip; tannic finish. The tannins seemed to melt away with the dish and the earthy nature of the wine came to the forefront. An exceptional wine and a symbiotic pairing. 13.5% alcohol, imported by Rosenthal and about $28; I believe it is worth the price but that is right at the limit I would spend.

2005 Philippe Faury, St. Joseph:

Smells like young Hermitage, is extremely complex with its leather, olive, meat and garrique elements complimenting supple fruit flavors, has a satin texture, is round in the mouth and finishes long and detailed. Quite a wine that is complete and approachable now but certainly has the ability to develop over time. 12.8% alcohol, imported by Kermit Lynch and about $25; I’m going back for more.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com