• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, helenjp said:

The fact that you can boil them in the cases is just a handy extra - the selling point is that you put the egg in the case, boil it, and then you can put it straight in your lunchbox, where the case stops the shell from getting crushed in transit (those commuter trains...). I can't find any claim that boiling the eggs in cases makes it any easier to boil eggs, but you never know.

P.S. There is a separate kind of case for microwaving eggs!

There was no mention of anything other than what you call "just a handy extra" on the packaging.  Wouldn't it be an odd kind of selling tactic not to mention the selling point? The instructions were on the back of the pack in four languages, three of which I know. Not one word about eggs being crushed in transit. Maybe that was hidden away in the 4th.

In my experience, the lunch box prevents lunch being crushed. Otherwise I'd just stick it in a paper bag. Are Japanese lunch boxes so crushable? Perhaps they should improve them instead!

Yes egg microwaving containers have been around for decades. Not for boiling them, though.

liuzhou

liuzhou

The fact that you can boil them in the cases is just a handy extra - the selling point is that you put the egg in the case, boil it, and then you can put it straight in your lunchbox, where the case stops the shell from getting crushed in transit (those commuter trains...). I can't find any claim that boiling the eggs in cases makes it any easier to boil eggs, but you never know.

There was no mention of anything other than what you call "just a handy extra" on the packaging.  Wouldn't it be an odd kind of selling tactic not to mention the selling point? The instructions were on the back of the pack in four languages, three of which I know. Not one word about eggs being crushed in transit. Maybe that was hidden away in the 4th.

In my experience, the lunch box prevents lunch being crushed. Otherwise I'd just stick it in a paper bag. Are Japanese lunch boxes so crushable. Perhaps they should improve them instead!

Yes egg microwaving containers have been around for decades. Not for boiling them, though.

liuzhou

liuzhou

liuzhou

liuzhou

55 minutes ago, helenjp said:

Yes egg microwaving containers have been around for decades.