• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for something different along CT I-91

bspachman

So...I'm growing weary of the continued proliferation of Applebee's, TGIFridays, and Chili's (although I DO love the Southwest Egg Rolls) :smile:

I'm looking for some interesting suggestions for food along the I91 corridor between New Haven and Hartford.

Think towns like Hamden, Wallingford, Meriden, Berlin, Rocky Hill.... Ideally, not too far from the interstate, but would take a short detour for something particularly outstanding.

I'm not wild about Asian cuisines, but have been known to enjoy myself once dragged out to someplace fabulous.

Any ideas from the collective?

Brad

I'd like to know the same thing (and have a few more to choose from) since we often travel that stretch between New Haven and Bradley International Airport.

I have eaten several time at the Kohinoor Express Indian Cuisine, 2103 North Broad Street (Highway 5/Berlin Turnpike), Meriden, CT 06450, (203) 440-4196. This place is excellent and just a couple of miles off I-91 and easy to access via the Meriden (south, and closest) end or the Eest Berlin (north) end of the "Berlin Turnpike".

Another that we love is Luce, an Italian restaurant in Hamden. http://www.ristoranteluce.net/location.html This is a classy place with great food, atmosphere and service. I can highly recommend it. It's really easy to get to from I-91, via the Mt Carmel connector (40). It's 2-1/2 miles from I-91, almost right where 40 ends and connects with Whitney Avenue. Just go up to the next light and it is in the N-E corner tucked back, past the wine store (prominent on the corner). This old wine store is Mt. Carmel Wine and Spirits, http://www.mtcarmelwine.com/. They have the best French wine selection, of any in New England.

Those are the only good places I know of that are in-between New Haven and Hartford.

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

Also in Hamden, also very good, is Mickey's Restaurant at the corner of Dixwell and Whitney Avenues, diagonally opposite the old Hamden Town Hall. http://www.mickeysgroup.com

Italian/Mediterranean themed cuisine (the chef/owner is Israeli) with novel twists and always the freshest ingredients. And, quite frankly, at a more affordable price point than Luce. Also exit 10 off of I-91, but take the first Exit 1 to Dixwell Ave, and follow it about 1 mile back to the center of Hamden.

Mickey's is new to me. http://www.mickeysgroup.com/ Looks very posh inside and the Mediterranean influenced dishes have me salivating!

Used to be a very frumpy, so-so seafood place. Can't even remember the name.

Thanks for the tip!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

Those look like some interesting options near the southern end of the corridor. In doing a little more poking around in meatspace (pun intended), it looks like there are some other possibilities:

Baci Grill

Carmen Anthony's Fishhouse

Elaine's

I've been to the Tuscany Grill in Middletown--owned/operated by the same folks who run Baci. Carmen Anthony's and Elaine's are on the Berlin Turnpike--so a little west of the I91 area. Anyone know anything about them?

What about non-Italian options? Any 'new American' places folks know about?

brad

At the other end of your search, in the south end of Hartford, is Costa del Sol, a wonderful traditional Spanish restaurant on 901 Wethersfield Ave, about 1 mile from the Airport Rd exit of I-91 (Exit 27, left on Brainard Rd., left on Airport Rd., go 1/2 mile then left on Wethersfield Ave., 1/2 mile on right). http://www.costadelsolrestaurant.net

Edited by rbailin (log)

Sounds like I need an excuse to go up I-91. All these look interesting. I think I remember that the Carmen Anthony "chain" has a good reputation.

If the Berlin Turnpike is close enough for a restaurant detour then Middletown is not much different. The Tuscany Grill would be an option.

What about others on the east side of I-91?

I've had good meals at both Luce in Middletown and at one of the Max Amore restaurants --- they operate about a dozen. I can't remember the name. It's in an upscale strip mall in Glastonbury next to a Talbot's store.

Luce is right in downtown Middletown, right off Route 9 about 5 minutes off 91. The Glastonbury place is about 3 minutes off 91.

Edited by grumpy7 (log)

At the other end of your search, in the south end of Hartford, is Costa del Sol, a wonderful traditional Spanish restaurant on 901 Wethersfield Ave, about 1 mile from the Airport Rd exit of I-91 (Exit 27, left on Brainard Rd., left on Airport Rd., go 1/2 mile then left on Wethersfield Ave., 1/2 mile on right). http://www.costadelsolrestaurant.net

Thanks for the tip! I went tonight and it was delicious! I joined some friends there and had a really great time. I had a beef tenderloin/mushroom dish and sampled some of the paella and a couple of other things that I couldn't possibly remember. The sangria was delicious too!

Later,

brad