• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is non-fan-forced worth it?

doctortim

I'm looking in to buying an electric oven to replace my existing electric oven, and I've narrowed it down to 2 possible models from the same product line. The only difference between the two that I care about is that one has the option to go non-fan-forced, while the other is fan-forced all the time. The former oven is quite a bit more expensive.

To help me make the decision, are there any things that would require an oven that isn't fan-forced? Are there any other compelling reasons to buy the oven that will let me turn the fan off should I need to?

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

I'm looking in to buying an electric oven to replace my existing electric oven, and I've narrowed it down to 2 possible models from the same product line. The only difference between the two that I care about is that one has the option to go non-fan-forced, while the other is fan-forced all the time. The former oven is quite a bit more expensive.

To help me make the decision, are there any things that would require an oven that isn't fan-forced? Are there any other compelling reasons to buy the oven that will let me turn the fan off should I need to?

Hi there from a fellow Aussie,

I bought a new oven recently, which has a lot of modes including fan-forced, "fan bake" (which uses a fan to circulate the heat), no fan - top and bottom elements on, bottom element only. I would go with the oven with the open to turn the fan off. I have only used fan-forced around twice (when I was baking a roast and potatoes, on multiple trays). Most times I use 'fan bake' for my cakes and bread. When baking up filled tarts (eg, chocolate tarts, lemon tarts) that need gentle heat, I would use a no-fan option. If you are into baking fruit cakes, you would not want to use fan forced.

"I'll just die if I don't get this recipe."