• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where can I buy cheesecloth and butcher's twine

sygyzy

Disclaimer: Yes, I searched and I feel terrible asking because I know you can get it at a few places like Cooking.com but they seem awfully expensive.

I am just looking for supplies to make boquet garni and tie up the occasional osso bucco. What's a good all around kitchen supplier? I used to think Cooking.com was great but half the time I get results from them, they are sold by a different vendor (sort of like how Amazon is sometimes).

Anyway, question is - bouquet garni supplies. Where?

In the meantime, here's a little trick I have been using. Take a tea strainer (not one with a handle, but one that would be used for making, say, a large pot of iced tea) and use it for your bouquet. The mesh filter is so fine nothing gets past it and you can easily fish it out. It also never bursts open the way bouquets from Keller's Bouchon cookbook (he instructs you to wrap leek leaves around your herbs and spices) do.

Are you sure its *cheesecloth* that you are after?

In English English, that stuff has a pretty open weave...

... and for a bouquet garni, I'd be using plain white "muslin" - a cheap, closer-woven, thin, low-lint cloth available from most textile/sewing/drapery/etc shops -- note: nothing to do with food, and you don't have to tell them what you want it for! Best to wash it before use, though.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan