• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Splenda or Nutrasweet?

GlorifiedRice

I like Splenda...and it's much more readily available where I live than Nutrasweet.

The best tho, is a blend of Splenda and Sugar Twin (but only Canadian made Sugar Twin, it's got cyclamates!) The two form some kind of chemical reaction that allows you to use much less product and mimics a sugar taste that is very close to the real thing.

For me personally, it's less about whether something has sugar in it and more about the overall carbohydrate count, however...so a piece of cake or whatever made with Splenda or the suchlike usually doesn't have many less carbs than that made with sugar - in fact, some candy touting itself as sugar free in fact has MORE carbs than that made with sugar. So my real preference would simply be quality over quantity. Better one made with sugar than six made without. But that's me. For someone sensitive to the actual sugar, well, they are just going to be so darn happy someone thought to make them something sugar free they aren't going to care what you made it with.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten