• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Internet Cheese Shopping

docsconz

I used to enjoy shopping for cheese on the internet. Sites like Artisanal, Murray's and iGourmet amongst others held treasure troves of cheeses that I could previously only dream about. Maybe, I have become jaded by that newfound variety and quality available at my fingertips, but in trying to shop for cheeses for the holidays, I have been extremely underwhelmed by all three sites this year. The available selections seem relatively meager, the prices high, the navigation clumsy and the shipping ridiculously expensive. I generally prefer to do all my shopping at one site, but so far it is impossible as none of these sites has the current variety I am seeking. I am getting despondent.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I've always liked iGourmet, but I have had some pretty good luck with Cheese Supply, as well. They have a broad selection, it shows up in good shape, and if you handle it right (order a bunch) you can get a pretty good deal on shipping.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

John, I think one issue is that the more successful of the mail-order cheese vendors have done much to standardize and scale up their operations. So they're mostly selling the cheeses that they get a lot of on a regular basis. The erratically available, interesting, limited-supply cheeses don't necessarily make it onto the websites. I mean, if you go into Artisanal it looks like there are several times as many cheeses on offer as you see on the website.

I'm wondering what would happen if you called up one of the smaller shops, like Ideal, where they have an excellent selection but not a huge mail-order operation. Maybe you'd be able to talk to someone who actually handles the cheese and can get past the generic offerings to find you some really good stuff. In any event, I'd try the phone with all these places.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

John, I think one issue is that the more successful of the mail-order cheese vendors have done much to standardize and scale up their operations. So they're mostly selling the cheeses that they get a lot of on a regular basis. The erratically available, interesting, limited-supply cheeses don't necessarily make it onto the websites. I mean, if you go into Artisanal it looks like there are several times as many cheeses on offer as you see on the website.

I'm wondering what would happen if you called up one of the smaller shops, like Ideal, where they have an excellent selection but not a huge mail-order operation. Maybe you'd be able to talk to someone who actually handles the cheese and can get past the generic offerings to find you some really good stuff. In any event, I'd try the phone with all these places.

That is certainly a good idea, Steven, however, after looking at a variety of sources on the web including some mentioned to me via PM, I found Artisanal to have the best selection and ordered from them despite the steep and irrational shipping charges. Their selection wasn't bad, just not what I have seen in the past. Murray's internet selection was particularly disappointing. I will keep your suggestion in mind for the future.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

I agree that Artisanal's online selection is pretty good. There are even some interesting cheeses on the ready-to-eat page. But compared to the actual store? Fuhgeddaboudit.

And for what Artisanal charges for shipping, hey, call me up and I'll go to the store for you, ship the stuff, and wash your car.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I agree that Artisanal's online selection is pretty good. There are even some interesting cheeses on the ready-to-eat page. But compared to the actual store? Fuhgeddaboudit.

And for what Artisanal charges for shipping, hey, call me up and I'll go to the store for you, ship the stuff, and wash your car.

Next time :laugh: Artisanal does do a very good job with their shipping as the product always arrives in perfect shape. I don't mind that it is expensive, but the pricing structure just doesn't make sense. It doesn't reward volume to any significant degree. I actually ordered a couple fewer cheeses to stay under $100 and save $30 on shipping.

Twitter - @docsconz