• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blue Baker

Bill Miller

We were forced to have lunch at the Blue Baker in College Station today. Different.

I will only make comment about the food--the tortilla soup was ok, my chicken breast sandwich in disguise would have been much better if I smuggled Hellman's mayo in and slathered it with it. For what it's worth.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

We were forced to have lunch at the Blue Baker in College Station today. Different.

I will only make comment about the food--the tortilla soup was ok, my chicken breast sandwich in disguise would have been much better if I smuggled Hellman's mayo in and slathered it with it. For what it's worth.

Oddest name ... a bakery? Or, just a terminally clever restaurant name?

You know ... tortilla soup is a treacherously simple dish, and should be at the head of the slow artisanal food canon: few ingredients, well prepared - yet you get the most incredible gobbledygook out there posing as tortilla soup that, when confronted with the real thing, people can't recognize it!

What do you figure was with the missing mayo? Excessive PC in the lipids department? Sounds like a dreadful meal. Hope the company provided some compensation.

Could be tacky and say that's what you get for going to Aggieland ... but I won't :raz:

Regards from an Orangeblood,

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

I can't help it , I'm 20 miles away--it's an intellectual wasteland--Hook 'em.

Oddest name ... a bakery? Or, just a terminally clever restaurant name?

You know ... tortilla soup is a treacherously simple dish, and should be at the head of the slow artisanal food canon: few ingredients, well prepared - yet you get the most incredible gobbledygook out there posing as tortilla soup that, when confronted with the real thing, people can't recognize it!

What do you figure was with the missing mayo? Excessive PC in the lipids department? Sounds like a dreadful meal. Hope the company provided some compensation.

Could be tacky and say that's what you get for going to Aggieland ... but I won't :raz:

Regards from an Orangeblood,

Theabroma

Ithink we have visited before--the company was wonderful, by the way--my beautiful wife--she was sorry she suggested the place. By the way I make Dean Fearings version of the soup--really good--from his cookbook. Regards.

• 1 month later...

Hey be nice to the poor Aggies.

I actually eat at Blue Baker semi-regularly, but I will concede that you sort of have to know what to order and what to avoid, and I'd probably eat there more except that it's gotten sort of expensive lately. They fancy themselves a sandwich shop, and some of the sandwiches are very good imo, but I think the real thing to get there is the pizzas.

For my money I'd probably stick with the deli meats on sandwiches and avoid things like whole chicken breast. The way they use pastrami is particularly wonderful in my opinion.

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman