• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NAMA chocolates

schneich

i guess everyone has heard of those japanese chocolate truffles called "nama chocolate" they are basically a soft ganache dusted in cocoa. they are supposed to be kept in the fridge, nevertheless when you take them out and eat them right away they are very creamy, but they wont melt even if you keep them at rooom temp for a few hours...

my question would be does anyoone have a ganache recipe that would match that, very creamy velvety in a cold state, but not fluid at room temp ... :unsure::hmmm:

cheers

torsten s.

Edited by schneich (log)

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

Looks like this may take some research. First I think we need a package to look at the ingredients.

I found this interesting publication that explains the standards for Japanese chocolate. The nama info starts on page 4. Looks like a lot of other ingredients can be added and it's still called chocolate. So perhaps these contain a reasonable percentage of coconut oil or other vegetable oil which gives them their velvety texture.

Quite a bit of butter wouldn't seem to be the way to go - the butter would harden in the fridge. I'll bet they include oil in the truffles. Wouldn't get too hard in the fridge and wouldn't melt at room temp.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

sounds reasonable...

so far to get that "cooling" effect they could use palm oil which has a lower melting point hence the cooling sensation in the mouth.

there is a modified clarified butter made by valrhona which i have used to make chocolate chunks for icecream. this stuff is fluid at room temperature and its basically just butter...

anyone familiar with that stuff ??

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany