• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Streit's Matzos

weinoo

Also from the Gourmet article quoted above by donbert:
The matzo rolled out of the conveyor oven in sheets, twice as wide as a man's torso. The men worked in rhythm with the machines, chatting occasionally in Spanish and snapping the sheets into neat piles, stacking them on moving racks that cycled through the room suspended in mid-air until they disappeared into the back of the factory.

Which is not exactly what I wrote in the OP...

Now, the matzos come out of the oven fast - I mean, like, hundreds a minute on a conveyer belt - it reminds me of the infamous I Love Lucy episode with the chocolate candy assembly line - only these guys can move some matzos. The first guy takes the matzos, places them into stacks that will fit into the box, and moves them to the cooling rack - which is in constant motion and is on the far right in the above photo.

I started asking the guys for some matzos and we got a much better view - you can see the sheets of matzo coming out of the oven in the photo below, which is taken from inside the factory. The guy with the headphones is the stacker.

Ahhh, poetic license...

Hey Man, you wuz robbed. But don't you know that everyone does their 'research' now in chat forums, blogs, etc. You know it's happened to me several times, and even a column I wrote for a small local magazine has been ripped off by the big guys. Weinoo-you were there, you wrote it first, you deserve the credit. I agree, you' re the king of unleavened bread eloquence... Edited by Miami Danny (log)

A hot from the oven matzo stays hot for about one minute on a chilly night.  And it's good for about one minute - I mean, without butter, cream cheese, salt, etc. it's basically a bad cracker.  The bread of affliction.  Enjoyed and then discarded.  Perfect for a minute, and only in NY, kids.

Hadn't read the whole article, but this seals the deal...

From Gournet.com, January 2, 2008:

Maybe she was right; I have to confess that I've never really seen the culinary appeal of these things.  Eli continued with his aggressive campaign of apathy. Still, the old man loved it, mumbling the word "delicious" between bites. "Oh, this makes me wish I had butter. And some salt!"

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?