• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Huntington Beach/Newport Beach/Costa Mesa

gnkindrick

I've looked through the existing threads on Orange County and I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

Perhaps someone can help? I'm looking for a good restaurant that is not too large, casual, independently owned, and with great food. Is that too much to ask? How about one more qualifier: it should also be welcoming to a party of eight that includes a one year old baby.

And the food should not be too 'exotic,' if you will, as we'll have some diners with conservative taste buds.

Is there something like this in Huntington Beach, Newport or Costa Mesa?

Edited by gnkindrick (log)

"Champagne was served. Emma shivered from head to toe as she felt the iced wine in her mouth. She had never seen pomegranates nor tasted pineapples..." - Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Here is my thread from a Laguna Beach trip earlier this year. You didn't say if you were going for lunch or dinner but I'd head to Sapphire for dinner or Break of Dawn in Laguna Hills for lunch.

Alternately, in Costa Mesa, you really can't beat The Crab Cooker which is very accommodating of large groups and children.

I've looked through the existing threads on Orange County and I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. 

Perhaps someone can help?  I'm looking for a good restaurant that is not too large, casual, independently owned, and with great food.  Is that too much to ask?  How about one more qualifier:  it should also be welcoming to a party  of eight that includes a one year old baby. 

And the food should not be too 'exotic,' if you will, as we'll have some diners with conservative taste buds.

Is there a specific price range you are looking to stay within?

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Well thanks everyone. To answer your questions, it would be for dinner and money is an issue, so the more economical, the better.

Also - does anyone know a tacqueria that does fish tacos?

"Champagne was served. Emma shivered from head to toe as she felt the iced wine in her mouth. She had never seen pomegranates nor tasted pineapples..." - Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Perhaps someone can help?  I'm looking for a good restaurant that is not too large, casual, independently owned, and with great food.  Is that too much to ask?  How about one more qualifier:  it should also be welcoming to a party  of eight that includes a one year old baby. 

If you look for very good (not outstanding) Italian food in Newport Beach I would highly recommedn Il Farro:

http://www.ilfarro.com/restaurant.htm

I would second the Crab Cooker for a fun family crowd-pleaser that won't break the bank. The line is always out the door, though, and I don't know if they take reservations or not.

2200 Newport Blvd.

Newport Beach CA 92663

(949) 673-0100

Well thanks everyone.  To answer your questions, it would be for dinner and money is an issue, so the more economical, the better. 

Also - does anyone know a tacqueria that does fish tacos?

You've got to go to Wahoo fish tacos. Got to the site and find a location -- there are quite a few in SoCal. Really, really, really good.

Wahoos fish tacos

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

I would second the Crab Cooker for a fun family crowd-pleaser that won't break the bank. The line is always out the door, though, and I don't know if they take reservations or not.

2200 Newport Blvd.

Newport Beach CA 92663

(949) 673-0100

They don't take reservations but those out-the-door lines tend to be summer-specific. This time of year, it shouldn't be a problem AND well worth it! (Don't forget to grab a piece of salt water taffy from the jar on your way out!)

Wahoos is the place for fish tacos. All their other stuff is great too.

I am not a huge fan of the Crab Cooker personally but it definitely fits the bill for what you are looking for and isn't a chain type restaurant.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields