• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

22 hours ago, gfweb said:

What a more real tonic than Schweppes?  I admit it could be less sweet.

Floral gins are nice but they don't taste like real gin. A martini should taste like gin not some flowery extract.

I kinda like Fever Tree. Or Q.

Both of their regular tonic waters have about the same calories as Schweppes regular, no sodium and no HFCS. Their lights are also just simply a lot less sugar, w/o the saccharine. If sugar is an issue, I guess there's no getting around using diet.

Martinis we like with Beefeater and a fair amount of vermouth. I've probably got 5 or 6 (more?) gins in the pantry, but pretty much end up using Beef or Plymouth for practically all cocktails made with gin.

weinoo

weinoo

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

What a more real tonic than Schweppes?  I admit it could be less sweet.

Floral gins are nice but they don't taste like real gin. A martini should taste like gin not some flowery extract.

I kinda like Fever Tree. Or Q.

Both of their regular tonic waters have about the same calories as Schweppes regular, no sodium and no HFCS. Their lights are are also just simply a lot less sugar, w/o the saccharine. If sugar is an issue, I guess there's no getting around using diet.

Martinis we like with Beefeater and a fair amount of vermouth. I've probably got 5 or 6 (more?) gins in the pantry, but pretty much end up using Beef or Plymouth for practically all cocktails made with gin.