• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

merstar

Callebaut vs Cacao Barry Extra Brute cocoa powder

Although Cacao Barry is the French Division of Callebaut, is there any noticeable difference in taste between the two cocoas? Has anyone compared them side by side?

Edited by merstar (log)

I haven't but would love to see what peoples opinions are...I have one cocoa that I always use but love to see the differences in taste of the others...

They are two very differently positioned products. The quality standards on the Cocoa Barry product will be very different than the quality standards on the standard BC product (your supplier can help you with exactly what these difference are). Flavors will be similar between similar product types in the two lines. You won't find a 22/24 product in the BC line, nor will you find thermophile negative product if that's important to you.

They are two very differently positioned products.  The quality standards on the Cocoa Barry product will be very different than the quality standards on the standard BC product (your supplier can help you with exactly what these difference are).  Flavors will be similar between similar product types in the two lines.  You won't find a 22/24 product in the BC line, nor will you find thermophile negative product if that's important to you.

Thanks, Sebastian, I'm just looking for a small supply for home use, and don't know if my source will be able to provide me with this information. I've emailed them, and will see. As far as 22/24, if you're referring to the fat content, it appears both cocoas contain that amount:

http://www.chocosphere.com/Html/Products/callebaut.html

Edited by merstar (log)

I was talking to a sales rep at Callebaut yesterday and he told me that the Brute is very different than the original Callebaut cocoa. The extra Brute is much darker in color and has a fuller and deeper flavor. It is completely different product. Extra Brute is made by Barry and the other by Callebaut. The companies merged under the umbrella of Barry-Callebaut, but each one continues to make their individual products. I just bought Bendsdorp which is manufactured by Callebaut. The rep said it is a higher quality cocoa, than the original Callebaut. Bendsdorp is almost as good as Valrhona or Pernigotti. I am not tin a rush to try the regular Callebaut, if Bendsdorp is better, and it's still not my favorite. I am am about to order to Extra Brute and am very anxious to try it. I will report back then.

1 hour ago, mermaid1111 said:

I was talking to a sales rep at Callebaut yesterday and he told me that the Brute is very different than the original Callebaut cocoa. The extra Brute is much darker in color and has a fuller and deeper flavor. It is completely different product. Extra Brute is made by Barry and the other by Callebaut. The companies merged under the umbrella of Barry-Callebaut, but each one continues to make their individual products. I just bought Bendsdorp which is manufactured by Callebaut. The rep said it is a higher quality cocoa, than the original Callebaut. Bendsdorp is almost as good as Valrhona or Pernigotti. I am not tin a rush to try the regular Callebaut, if Bendsdorp is better, and it's still not my favorite. I am am about to order to Extra Brute and am very anxious to try it. I will report back then.

Make sure to try a blind tasting. There's a public perception that darker color = more flavor, and it simply is not true. I personally have not tried the Extra Brute, so I have no idea what it's like. But, I recall being at a trade event and tasting various things, and my favorite cocoa was lighter in color than most. (and it had a deep, complex taste)

Also, welcome to eG!

The Callebaut salesperson said that the taste is much fuller and stronger. Also going by many reviews, many others feel the same. But I will know when it arrives!!! It just happens to be darker, but supposedly stronger too. I just wish there was a  smaller amount than a $20  bag, to experiment with. 

• Similar Content

• By VistaGardens
      New useful shop toy acquired today:  a milk frother.  This small device is perfect for stirring pigment into cocoa butter when you are making your own colors, or need to mix up ones that have settled.  It makes no splatter like a hand held blender and is super easy to clean - just put it in a mug of hot soapy water...  I picked one up on Amazon for under $20US with a stand, thinking it might be good, and it was great!  Because the cocoa butter has a thicker viscosity than milk, it doesn't froth it, but does an excellent job of blending without the mess. 

• By DeanTheBaker
      Hi everyone,

I am someone who used to hate milk chocolate (and white as well) because they are always too sweet for me.
      but recently I got to try Valrhona's Bahibe 46% and it's really good; creamy and not sickeningly sweet.

After Valrhona has changed my mind, I'm on a quest to explore the world of milk chocolate.
      Are there any alternatives as good or even better? what's your preference when it comes to milk chocolate?

Thank you.
    • By eglies
      Hello there everyone! I am a new chocolatier and I am looking for someone who has some time to dedicate helping me set up my new business. I have questions mostly on recipes and equipment. Is anyone available?

Thank you
      Egli
    • By pastrygirl
      Who here hand dips chocolates, either with their actual hand, or with a fork?

I have a side job working with a woman who hand dips everything with her fingers in a puddle of chocolate on a sheet of parchment.  She's super fast at it, I tried it but it felt so messy and awkward.  I have done a little fork-dipping, so today dipped 300+ cookies with a fork and remembered why I hate fork dipping. 

So, anyone have any pointers, tricks,  or favorite dipping forks that don't make your hand go numb?  Today I used a dinner fork, I didn't have my actual chocolate dipping forks, but they have really thin metal handles that are hard to hold onto and horrible.  I need like the Good Grips version for people with arthritis and pastry chefs who have done too much piping ...
    • By Arlene13
      Posted 1 hour ago My truffles are cracking and leaking even when dipped at room temperature. 
      I am so frustrated! Also some centres are too soft to dip unless chilled or frozen, suggestions? Also anyone have a good butterscotch truffle recipe with no icing sugar or cream cheese involved?
      thank you!