• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Paris Restaurants are unchanged?

John Talbott

Host's Note : This seemed different enough from the topic to warrant a new topic. So, go at it.

NB The reference is to this topic.

I second the advice of Dave Hatfield; some of my most memorable dining experiences have been outside Paris.  Perhaps a historical perspective would also be enlightening.  The only Parisian places which seem to have remained unchanged (not including prices, unfortunately) in my 35 plus years, are Le Rubis, a wine bar just off Place du March St. Honore, and Brasserie Balzar, on rue des Ecoles.  JohnTalbott, Dave and other posters could no doubt add many more.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

OK OAKGLEN, let me give it a go.

The problem is I haven't eaten at most of them for a long time. But from where I've been and reading reports, I'd suggest Le Tour d'Argent, Lasserre, Taillevent + La Maree from the '50's-70's, Bofinger, Astier + Charlot le Roi des Coquillages from the '80's, Le Bistrot du Dome from the '90's, and Ze Kitchen Galerie, Thierry Burlot + Repaire de Cartouche from the modern era.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 5 months later...

I'm planning my second visit to Paris, and while I've mostly chosen restaurants based on food (for example, L'Ambroise and Ledoyen, which I visited last time; L'Astrance, which I did not), I was thinking of throwing one restaurant into the mix to enjoy an old-school, historic sort of ambiance. I would still want the food to be good, of course, but it doesn't have to be especially innovative. In fact, something traditional might be appealing in terms of completing the experience. I was considering Lasserre and Le Tour d'Argent, both mentioned by John above. Also considering Le Grand Vefour despite the loss of star and mixed reviews here. So if I went to one of those restaurants, did my research, and ordered appropriately, would it be possible to come away with a good overall dining experience beyond just the setting? Other suggestions? I went to Taillevent, also mentioned by John, last time, and feel no need to return immediately.

We've been to both La Tour D'argent and Grand Vefour in the past year, for the same reason. Good, old school food and service.

We'd been to Tour D'argent 20 years earlier, and it really didn't change.

I loved it then and now. You're right, not especially innovative, but...romantic, great view, great service. Place settings the same, however I think the cobwebs were gone and the single old lady who's small white poodle had the opposite chair and a place setting weren't there. Oh, and the ancient Captain who bowed one vertabrae at a time after asking, "voulez vouz une ap-er-i-tif si vous plais"-took him about three minutes to straighten back up. Still, it was the same and worth it.

I really didn't love Grand Vefour. Yes, it was pretty, but I found the wine service so old fashioned that they just wouldn't give me (the wife), the time of day, even though I ordered. Still served my husband, etc. That's very old school, and we accepted it and didn't cause any fuss since it is France and the old sommelier at lunch just hated women ordering.

And, he served us some really, really expensive glasses of wine when we asked for medium priced recommendations for dessert wine.

(come to think of it, we didn't especially like the lunch sommelier at Tour D'argent either. Maybe it stems from both of us being ex wine stewards)

I also didn't like the excess of five million desserts. It's just overwhelming.The main courses were okay, still, not worth it in my opinion.

My husband, however, feels a bit differently and enjoyed it. I think, basically, from all of the old stories and people that went there; the history...

I believe I posted a review of both places under their names.

Philly Francophiles

I was thinking of throwing one restaurant into the mix to enjoy an old-school, historic sort of ambiance.  I would still want the food to be good, of course, but it doesn't have to be especially innovative.  In fact, something traditional might be appealing in terms of completing the experience. .

You could consider Le Procope or Le Ballon des Ternes.

Michael

www.epicures.wordpress.com

MichaelCE, Le Procope is definitely along the right lines. It was actually the first restaurant I visited last year during my first visit to Paris, when I was stumbling around jet-lagged and hungry. The food was fine, but the historic sense of the place was very charming and exactly the right sort of introduction to Paris for me. That being said, I wouldn't mind food that was slightly more ambititous.

Tartetatin, thanks also for your thoughts. I am definitely still torn about Le Grand Vefour, due to the kind of mixed opinions that you and your husband had and that are otherwise expressed on these boards.

Edited by HOLLY_L (log)