• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grand Tier Restaurant, Metropolitan Opera

markk

Well, I've tried Jean-Georges twice before the opera, and it's really a mad-rush through your meal.
I can't imagine dining at that kind of place pre-theatre, but I know there are people who do it. When I dined at ADNY, the server asked if we needed to be out in time for a show.
That was for a 7:30 curtain.  But even for an 8 PM curtain you have to start eating the moment they open, and it's too rushed for that meal.
At most restaurants, though not necessarily J-G, you can make a 6:00 reservation, have plenty of time to eat, and still make it to an 8:00 curtain. It's a lot harder when the opera starts at 7:30 or earlier.
I wonder if anybody (hint to Fat Guy) has any idea why they closed the Top of The Met restaurant?

I don't know, but it has been gone for a very long time—at least 20 years, I think. Some of the elevators still label the top level "Restaurant," though of course you can't actually get up there. I understand that it's now used for storage. I am guessing that it didn't do very well, because the Met (like most performance venues) certainly doesn't hesitate to make every dime they can get. If it turned a profit, it would still be open.

Neil Annis has returned and is currently the chef at Compass.

http://www.chefdb.com/nm/4774

What a bummer.

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)