• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do you swizzle wine in a restaurant?

Rebel Rose

Because you know if you laugh, the wine comes out your nose. :raz:

Seriously, don't you think ostentatious swishing and gargling is just too gross when performed in a restaurant? Come on, why order the wine in the first place unless you have some idea of its merit?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Because you know if you laugh, the wine comes out your nose.  :raz:

Seriously, don't you think ostentatious swishing and gargling is just too gross when performed in a restaurant?  Come on, why order the wine in the first place unless you have some idea of its merit?

I don't think it's out of line to "taste" a wine in a restaurant. There is no need to make a big production out of it, but wine that's been recently uncorked benefits from a swirl in the glass and a good sniff.

Even when we dine at a 4-star restaurant, we'll swirl, sniff, and sip the wine when it's served. Because, you know, that individual bottle could be corked.

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

Indeed being ostentatious about tasting wines is boorish. That does not mean that we should give it up on the tasting process but that we should do it as we dab at our lips with a napkin - by being genteel.

As to he/she who gargles in a restaurant - only in the privacy of the mens' or ladies' room. On which I cannot resist a :rolleyes: