• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HungryChris

HungryChris

24 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Looks super good, Chris.  I don't think I've ever had beef tongue.

When I was a little kid, I helped my mother prepare for a small dinner gathering one day. I remember chopping olives and mixing in cream cheese. I also remember being grossed out when she pulled out this beef tongue and simmered it on the stove for a few hours and peeled off the skin. The next morning I saw there were a few platters of goodies left over. One of them was the absolute best tasting and most tender ham I had ever eaten, or so I thought. I really enjoyed it. It changed my life. The first one I ever saw as an adult, I bought and cooked. It is one thing, like scrapple, that I am the only fan of in the house. I think it was a beef tongue corning in the basement fridge  that got that fridge the nick name "forensics lab" and is usually uttered with a rolled eye.

HungryChris

HungryChris

18 minutes ago, Shelby said:

When I was a little kid, I helped my mother prepare for a small dinner gathering one day. I remember chopping olives and mixing in cream cheese. I also remember being grossed out when she pulled out this beef tongue and simmered it on the stove for a few hours and peeled off the skin. The next morning I saw there were a few platters of goodies left over. One of them was the absolute best tasting and most tender ham I had ever eaten, or so I thought. I really enjoyed it. It changed my life. The first one I ever saw as an adult, I bought and cooked. It is one thing, like scrapple, that I am the only fan of in the house. I think it was a beef tongue corning in the basement fridge got that fridge the nick name "forensics lab" and is usually uttered with a rolled eye.

HungryChris

HungryChris

12 minutes ago, Shelby said:

When I was a little kid, I helped my mother prepare for a small dinner gathering one day. I remember chopping olives and mixing in cream cheese. I also remember being grossed out when she pulled out this beef tongue and simmered it on the stove for a few hours and peeled off the skin. The next morning I saw there were a few platters of goodies left over. One of them was the absolute best tasting ham I had ever eaten, or so I thought. I really enjoyed it. It changed my life. The first one I ever saw as an adult, I bought and cooked. It is one thing, like scrapple, that I am the only fan of in the house. I think it was a beef tongue corning in the basement fridge got that fridge the nick name "forensics lab" and is usually uttered with a rolled eye.