• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquor Barn

My friend received a Liquor Barn flyer and they advertised Yellow Tail Shiraz for $10.99 but with a limit of two bottles per customer. The flyer stated that the BCLDB's regular price is $12.99 .

She called to see if she could get a couple of cases for a wedding. One store said "No" that they don't supply for weddings? Another store suggested running a credit card 12 times to take advantage of the price with the limit. Another store said "Yes" they could supply two dozen bottles for the sale price.

The second question was what the regular price of Yellow Tail Shiraz will be after the sale. It is $14.99 .

I overheard that the LB would buy up the entire supply of a sale item from the BCLDB warehouse, leaving the government stores short on popular items (Yellow Tail, Crown Royal, Grants, etc.) Then they sell it at a sale price, giving the impression that they have better prices and supply when in fact, they sell everything else at $2 to $5 more than the BCLDB. The LB, based in Alberta (USA owned?) has huge warehouses which allows them to do this.

I find LB inconsistent in pricing, service and information, if not deceptive in their advertising practise.

I don't find the LB stores offer the same service as the BCLDB. The clerks are not as knowledgeable. I know there are other private stores (not the LB) in which the clerks have exceptional knowledge. But my discussion here pertains to the Liquor Barn.

Does anyone have experiences they can share about Liquor Barn?

...and your point is?

Just do not follow the "politics" of semi-privatized liquor sales in BC or AB.

I would never buy from Liquor Barn or Liquor Select or Liquor Depot or whatever the increasingly centralized liquor industry in this province has become.

Mind you I probably would not buy Yellow Label "anything" ... but at $10.50 why not?

Better stil at $9.50 or cheaper if you can find it.

Mind you I still chuckle at the Canadian comic's coments about an east coaser being in California and seeing a "liquor barn"...Lord Jeezus...the same fellow from "Blackfly" etc.

Then they sell it at a sale price, giving the impression that they have better prices and supply when in fact, they sell everything else at $2 to $5 more than the BCLDB. The LB, based in Alberta (USA owned?) has huge warehouses which allows them to do this.
http://www.liquorbarn.ca/page.cfm?CategoryID=2

They have bought many of the neighbourhood pubs on the island and Mainland

Kamloops-Kelowna-chiliwack-Abbotsford-greater Van- island

This has given them the liquor stores

The unions are not so smart and so is the association

steve

liquor barn

Cook To Live; Live To Cook