• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Simpsons Feast

Kent Wang

The Alamo Drafthouse is a chain of movie theaters here in Austin that serves food and beer. On occasion, they make up special meals for certain films. Thursday, I went to see The Simpsons movie with a five-course meal.

gallery_36558_3077_162408.jpg

The menu.

I couldn't take any photos of the food in the middle of the movie, of course, so you'll just have to use your imagination.

gallery_36558_3077_85122.jpg

Duff Ice was just frozen beer. Duff is I believe the house brew. Düff was just Duff, and the servers then come by with a marker to put the umlauts on top. Not sure what Duff Stout and the Raspberry Stout were, but both were pretty good.

The food was remarkably good and for $55, I wouldn't have minded paying that at any restaurant. The menu was very clever and was clearly designed by a hardcore Simpsons fan. This was also a pretty serious amount of beer for such a short film.

Sometimes the special movie menus are a little gimmicky but this was delicious and a good value to boot.

Edited by Kent Wang (log)

Kent, that looks like so much fun! I love clever little events like this and am still kicking myself that I never made it to the restaurant serving "butterbeer" at the Harvard Square Harry Potter festivities.

How was that donut...?

You say I am mysterious. Let me explain myself. In a land of oranges, I am faithful to apples. ~ Elsa Gidlow

Had a friend that moved from Austin area maybe two years ago. Her and her better half loved these theaters. That's a pretty impressive menu for a kitchen that I remember made pub food. Damn good pub food.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

They even remembered little things like Pinchy (took me a while to remember him) and Moe's birthday fries! (Edna Krabappel "HA!") This sounds like a lot of fun.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Had a friend that moved from Austin area maybe two years ago. Her and her better half loved these theaters. That's a pretty impressive menu for a kitchen that I remember made pub food. Damn good pub food.

The kitchens at the Alamo (south & village) have really evolved over the past few years and have hired some very capable chefs. You have to keep in mind that the number of plates these guys are serving brings it from a 'restaurant' experience into the realm of 'event catering' very quickly -- set your expectations based on that.

While I tend to stick to the pub food that can be safely eaten in the dark, occasionally I do stray into adventurous territory, and the kitchen keeps up.

Didn't go to the Simpsons event, but did go to the multi-course 'interior' Mexican feast for Nacho Libre that was surprisingly good.

Also understand they're about to do an 'iron chef' challenge themed to the movie Monsoon Wedding on 8/21. Should be interesting. Unfortunately I'll be in London that week doing my own themed event & will miss it.

Edited by mcdowell (log)