• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lamb Shoulder: Tips & Techniques

Sackville

2 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I just googled pulled lamb shoulder and there a number of good suggestions and one answer to what temp it needs be to pull…..165F. 

Thanks! I did search before I asked but none were using a boneless roast.  Clearly, I need to go back and look more carefully - now that I know the answer is out there, I'll be more persistent!

10 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I don’t know but I think if you use a meat thermometer is wouldn’t matter that much about the bone but more the weight of your shoulder.

That’s very helpful.  None of the recipes I’ve found have mentioned time/weight so I will continue my searching to find something like that. I did find a Serious Eats recipe that uses a boneless roast, though 2X larger than mine, so I may just go with those times and hope for the best. I very rarely cook meat so I don’t have any experience to go on.  

As long as you do a low slow cook and monitor the internal temp you will be fine.  My guess for your amount of meat is 2 to 3 hours.  Low and slow is they key.  It is going smell amazing.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Due to a miscommunication at the farmers market, I need some help in adjusting a recipe that calls for bone-in lamb shoulder to use a boneless lamb shoulder roast.  

The recipe I want to make is pulled lamb shawarma from Falastin that uses a low, slow braise.  It calls for 2-2.5 kg bone-in lamb shoulder.  What I've got is a little baby 0.75 kg boneless roast and I'm sure it's a waste to use a boneless roast for this but I don't have anything else in mind. 

The recipe says that after an overnight marinade, it goes 4 hours, covered, @ 140°C/284°F, then 90 minutes more uncovered with the temp raised to 160°C/320°F) for the last 30 min. 

Are there temp targets I can use to gauge when to uncover and when it's done?

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions!

I cook lamb regularly, though not to be used as „pulled lamb“. If sous vide is an option for you, 12h @ 74oC gives a nice roast-like texture. So, if you are aiming for a more gelatinous, „pulled“ result I‘d go 18h @ 74oC. Just as I do with SV pulled pork, I‘d unpack while hot, shred and simultaneously reduce the SV juices, recombine and let cool down for the juiciest & aromatic result.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1