• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lobster Shacks, Clam Shacks, Love Shacks

Busboy

OK, no love shacks as the wife will not be in attendance. However, my son and I will have a couple of days on the New England coast in a couple of weeks and any suggestions will be much appreciated. We are determinedly downscale but ability to purchase a Narragansett would be nice and, as the boy is not so big on seafood, a grill that serves up burgers or dogs is appreciated. Also, if anyone knows any dirt-cheap lodgings in the area -- can be a couple of miles inland -- suggestions are greatly appreciated. We are not picky; any place where they're not actually dealing crack out of the next room is probably OK, though local charm is always appreciated.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

• 4 weeks later...

It was a short trip so I didn't have too much opportunity to munch Maine's favorite crustacean, and the fact that my traveling companion does not do fish meant I felt guilty dragging to fish-type establishments, but we did get to two fine spots.

The first, The Lobster Pool Restaurant in Rockport, Mass, was maybe a better "spot" than actual restaurant (though my experience regarding seafood shacks is limited). At any rate, it sits on Folly Cove and one eats, as I am told is proper, at picnic tables outside. Actually, a lot more people were eating inside, perhaps because of those ankle-biting flies and the fact that the "off" the management had helpfully provided was, empty. Nonetheless, those people were fools as it was a gorgeous day and a gorgeous setting -- we spent a good hour-and-a-half afterwards sunning ourselves on the rocks and reading our books.

gallery_7296_4757_42518.jpg

Busboy, Jr. (actually he's a waiter already) at the Lobster Pool.

Though served on those New England hot dog rolls that I love so much, I was unimpressed with the main course. The bun could have been better butter-fried and the lobster itself was a little overcooked. As you can see, I pimped it up a bit with my cole slaw, which helped. I'd go back and try again, if only for the view, but these things aren't cheap. What was cheap, though, was the wine. The place is BYOB so you stop and get whatever swill they have at the liquor store up the road in Lanesville. It's not fine wine, but it's easy on the budget. Plus, I'm not the kind of guy (all appearances to the contrary) who must have Mersault to drink from his paper cup on the picnic table. The Lobster Pool also offers an assortment , clams, squid and other fishy things, as well as burgers and dogs.

gallery_7296_4757_14526.jpg

The Lobster Pool Restaurant Rt. 127, North of Gloucester (traveling clockwise); 978-546-7808

I hate carrying a Blackberry most of the time, but I did get an e-mail from my wife alerting me to "the best lobster roll in Maine," and so I did a quick detour off Route 95 towards Portland and headed towards Kennebunkport, Maine. Nothing during my brief visit to that town persuaded that the Bush years have been good for Kennebunkport, it appears overrun with tourists and overpriced kitsch (maybe it was that way before it got famous, but I doubt it). However, The Clam Shack, which stands on the Rt. 9 bridge over the Kennebunk River seems to have withstood the onslaught well.

gallery_7296_4757_32050.jpg

What it lacks in charm -- the view is mostly of traffic and parking lot -- it makes up for in a succulent lobster burger. It may or may not be Maine's finest (though it has the press clippings and the signed photo of Bush 41 backing its claim), but the buttery, lobstery snack I plunked my $17 down for is the best I've ever had. And the burger bun is a little easier to maneuver and overstuff, as well. Beware of seagulls, who have been know to fly off with unattended food.

gallery_7296_4757_10512.jpg

The Clam Shack

Route 9

at the Kennebunkport Bridge

Kennebunkport, ME 04046

207-967-2560

(Here are Travel & Leisure's Maine favorites.)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

so I did a quick detour off Route 95  towards Portland and headed towards Kennebunkport, Maine.  Nothing during my brief visit to that town persuaded that the Bush years have been good for Kennebunkport, it appears overrun with tourists and overpriced kitsch (maybe it was that way before it got famous, but I doubt it).

It was like that BB but probably it's gotten worse. :sad:

Now that you've gone there though, the fame can only continue, the tourists only flock more.

AB&B is the era now. After Bush and Busboy.