• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philly Mag's 2007 Best Of Philly Winners

Rich Pawlak

Just got word from the GREY LODGE website that they have won for their incredible french fries!

CONGRATS to owner Scoats, Exec Chef Pat MgGinley and their talented kitchen crew. I think they should also have won for their mussels and cheesesteak.

So far, from the magazine's own website we know that Snack Bar's chef, Johhny Mac has won for Best New Chef. Any other noteworthy winners?

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I've got a planning thread going around one of them, Best Pizza (City) winner Slice -- another newcomer, like 2005 winner NYPD.

Where are all the pieheads, BTW? Not a single followup post yet.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Best Cocktail is listed as the Margaritas at Xochitl. Not a bad choice, but I'd have to lean toward a rye Manhattan at Southwark or something of my own making wherever. Just sayin'...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot less categories in the BOP this year, especially in the food section?

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Seems like a lot less categories in general. So few, in fact, that they were able to condense it into a pocket sized guide that comes with the Best Of issue.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'm not sure about the number of categories compared to other years, I haven't seen the whole list yet.

I'd agree with most of the food ones I've heard about: Osteria as best new restaurant, Jonny Mac as best new chef, even Modo Mio as best new BYOB (it really can be great...)

Haven't tried several of the others that were cited, like Blackfish for suburban restaurant, or Seablue for new Atlantic City restaurant.

Best burger went to Brandywine Prime - which hasn't seemed to have been on the general radar for burgers, but I'm interested in checking it out.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Steve's Prince of Steaks got the Best Cheesesteak, City honors; Garrett Hill Pizza in Rosemont won Best Cheeseteak, 'Burbs; and they gave a prize for Best Cheesesteak Update to the cheesesteak empanadas at Bliss.

Rae got Best Happy Hour.

I'll have to check out Zento in Old City, which won Best Sushi.

Zento is probably my favorite sushi place at the moment. Makiman in the NE is 2nd. Both offer very inventive rolls.

Maybe we can get a Wednesday night get-together at Zento. I don't need much encouragement to go back there.

Edited by Scoats (log)

Better organize any Wednesday night meetup soon, Scoats, if you want me to show up -- Chorus rehearsals start August 29.

congratulations!

now, i have a question: my favorite knife needs salvaging from the years of abuse I gave it before I knew how to take care of knives. but, I live in (well, just outside of) center city. Can you help? What are my options?

congratulations! 

now, i have a question: my favorite knife needs salvaging from the years of abuse I gave it before I knew how to take care of knives.  but, I live in (well, just outside of) center city.  Can you help?  What are my options?

Hi there and "Thanks"! :smile:

Yes, that's no problem at all to fix up your knife, well I guess I'd have to know a bit more about it first, but it's usually no problem.

I can offer two solutions...

1. Depending on your exact location, and how many knives/scissors you need sharpening, I could come to you and sharpen right at your place.

OR

2. You could send the knife to us using our hand dandy mail order program. We generally turn all work around within 24 hours of receipt. Many of our Center City customers use this service and usually have their knives back within days of sending them out. This may be your best option.

See http://drsharpening.com/9.html for pricing & instructions.

Either way it works out I want to thank you for considering us for your sharpening needs.

Regards,

Dave Martell