• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Glazed walnuts

UnConundrum

I'm having a heck of a time making glazed walnuts. As simple as the recipes seem, I must be doing something wrong in the process. I've tried recipes on the stovetop and recipes for the microwave. All failed. I'm thinking it's a heat thing. I mix sugar and butter over heat and mix till combined. I add the walnuts and cood for a few minutes. The sugar and the butter seem to separate, never to come back together. The microwave recipe called for brown sugar which, in less time than called for in the recipe actually burned, smoking up the whole house.

Can someone help out a sugar challenged cook with some very simple instructions? Thanks a bunch.

Edited by UnConundrum (log)

I do caramelized pecans by simply drizzling honey over the nuts and then baking them in the oven at 350 F for about ten minutes on something non-stick (Silpat or non-stick aluminum foil). Toss them with a spatula, add additional honey if you need to, and cook an additional 10 minutes or so, until they are slightly caramelized. I tend to toss them every five minutes or so during this entire process.

Only trick is that when they come out, you need to separate them into individual nuts IMMEDIATELY. Once they cool even a little bit, the nuts will stick together and it's usually impossible to pry them apart without breaking them.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link