• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A vexing problem

dejaq

With one of the organizations that I am working for, they seem to have a problem from an administrative standpoint of requiring from their wholesale accounts particularly one in question to submit their paperwork with timely expedience. This has created a host of bottlenecks for production since their preliminary counts do not jive with their final (later in the day counts) (well into production and packaging). Forcing staff to have to repack, pull, and reload merchandise in excess or under spec.

Is this a Production issue or is it truly the responsibility of admin to address disorganization on this level.

I'm not exactly following who is who but I would phase in a surcharge for changing the order after a certain certain time. It just costs more.

Casually mention it. Let it sink in. Like 'the high cost of doing business, oh my'. Everyone can commiserate/relate of course. Then start writing it on invoices to go into effect September 15st or whatever.

To me it doesn't matter who's fault it is if it's costing me more I have to pass it on. No?

edited to say: I meant September 1st not the 15st - ha!

Edited by K8memphis (log)

That's an EXCELLENT solution, K8! If you send them a memo kindly explaining that it costs your organization much more when things have to be repacked, and apologize for having to raise prices on late orders, then they have no excuse.

Another way to do this same thing might be to put a price increase into effect, but offer "discounts" on orders placed by a certain time of day (no exceptions) which effectively discount down to your current prices. That way you will only be penalizing the late orderers and not raising prices on the clients who order on time.

It's always the same clients who do this. When I had my bakery I had to learn to say "We've already finished making that product today, but we can get you into the next delivery in your area." It worked.

You have to be firm, but respectful.

Good luck!

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

Both suggestions are exactly my thought, I actually worked for the parent company that we are now serving wholesale now, four years ago. They weren’t organized back then and it seems, things haven’t really improved much in all this time. It’s a shame, history really does have a funny way of repeating itself, sometimes. I did send a very polite note to the store manager, down on Cap hill attesting to the effect “ we stay competitive in the marketplace due to our production methods” yada ya, and was asked not to get involved with reminding the client of company policy, hmmmm, things like this indeed do have a radionuclionic half life.

Michael,

I deal with this nightmare on a daily basis. I service some large High End private clubs and they need to be baby sat, I need to call and call and call until I finally get them on the phone for their order. Last minute louies we call em. I feel their really isnt that much you can do (that is if their business is important to you)

Im a small guy in the midst of huge competition so sometimes I need to suck it up and take care of them (wish I could be like the big guys and say"Your order needs to be in by ? or I cant promise that we will be able to accomodate You") not going to happen in my present situation....I have a larger facility plan in the works and we will set these policies into place there.

Are your superiors the ones responsibile? I know sometimes I enable my clients by my ability to produce quality product on short notice.

On the other hand if they want your product they should help you!

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

I service some large High End private clubs and they need to be baby sat, I need to call and call and call until I finally get them on the phone for their order. Last minute louies we call em. I feel their really isnt that much you can do (that is if their business is important to you)

I'm a strict "parent" and I practice tough love with my clients. Orders must be in by a certain time or I can't accommodate...no exceptions. However, I give them every chance in the world. If a client has not ordered and the deadline is say, 5 minutes away, my favorite phrase to use on the phone is, "I'll be glad to wait while you put your order together for me." Works every time.

I see it like this. I am other vendors client too. I HAVE to be organized...it's the nature of my job as a PC. I know that if I don't have my orders in to my vendors by a certain time, I won't get my product. If I don't get my product, I can't do my job...it's that simple. I know they have deadlines for a reason, just as I do, and I totally respect that.

Here's something to think about too.....I don't think that holding people to deadlines is such a crime as long as you do it nicely. If they are so unorganized that they can't place an order that they obviously need, then they have a much bigger problem. I'm not about to make a pain-in-the-ass client a bigger pain-in-the-ass by enabling their organizational problems by accommodating late orders....it doesn't do anyone any favors, that's for sure.

Say one of your clients misses a deadline, and they call after you've closed for the day, and leave their order on your answering machine. (yes, it's happened to me). Do I believe you should try to fill that order? Hell no. Believe me, it only takes one time for a client not to get their order, and they'll never make that mistake again. If you do accommodate, what reason do they have in the future to get their order in on time? They figure if you'll do it once to cover their unorganized butts, you'll do it again. So what if they get all upset and decide to pull their business from you?

Are they actually going to find another vendor who will put up with their crap for long? Will that other vendor find better products than you make? I bet not. If you make a good product, I think

that having fears of losing business because you actually hold people to deadlines are unfounded.

Oh Annie,

In a perfect world everything you said should be true. In Long Island where I'm located the business of wholesale pastry especially to high end clubs is RUTHLESS if you cant help them, they will not hesitate to drop you off there list and move on to the long list of people waiting to service them. I use the same argument about being someone elses customer,,,,it usually involves my strict rule about minimums, usually they comply.

I have become a babysitter for these guys but I'm a small business and I need the work to pay my bills

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Thanks for your input, I understand the nature of the industry and how “fickle” people can be.

Surprisingly, there may be some hope yet for one of the co-owners who noted that he is going to wait about another month in order to iron out these mickey mouse problems with our client before proceeding with all 9 stores. Needless to say, I was shocked, wow maybe he’s beginning to listen to me for a change after all, that’s a switch?! Could be a bit of paranoia also, that always adds a bit of spice to things...If you could only see what gar-baaage these people were getting before we came along, maybe we could have a better level of appreciation for the expression “absence makes the heart grow fonder”.

I have become a babysitter for these guys but I'm a small business and I need the work to pay my bills

How quickly I forget. Your world and my world are so different. I suppose being in one of the biggest foodie cities in the USA, your competition is fierce. Over here, I literally have no competition, so yeah, I get to have my way pretty easily. Sometimes in my small town isolation, my naivete becomes magnified..... :blink: