• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New World Rieslings, Roses Are Ideal

Don Giovanni

New World Rieslings, Roses Are Ideal Summer Wines :Bloomberg

Cool climate is one key to the best examples, as it preserves acidity in the grapes. That's why good new rieslings are coming from regions such as California's Anderson Valley (in Mendocino County), Oregon, New York's Finger Lakes, Australia's Clare Valley and Western Australia.

Click On Me

Given that you can buy seriously good German Rieslings for $15 or less on sale at places like DeeVine Wine I've got no plans to buy any overripe domestic Rieslings. There are some good whites made in the finger lakes, they just aren't available on the west coast and what we can get out here costs significantly more than I think it's worth.

From a marketing standpoint, it's interesting to see flags emblazoned simply with "Riesling" waving outside of wineries around the Fingerlakes in NY. The quality is not universally high, but it is pretty amazing how many good-to-excellent rieslings there are to be had, especially around Keuka and Seneca.

In addition to some of the best Rieslings anywhere, not just upstate NY, Hermann Wiemer is also making two good dry Roses. The newer one, 100% Pinot Noir, is quite interesting.

After a recent resupply there, I should be set for at least part of the summer...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com