• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Let me tell you about heaven . . .

Florida Jim

So, we roll out of Florida early on Friday, stop along the way at friend’s house in SC and arrive in the western mountains of NC about mid-day on Sunday. A bit of lunch with wine and my wife, glass in hand, is off to dig in the dirt. And I can see three days of making the lawn, grounds and environs more suitable. Let me tell you about heaven . . .

Along the way:

2006 Laxas, Albariño:

Smells acidic, tastes sour and really never comes around over the course of the evening. There are so many better Albariños out there that this isn’t worth a tumble. 12.5% alcohol and about $12; I’d not buy it again.

2005 Phillip Faury, St. Joseph:

This is Côte-Rôtie with slightly less finesse; a truly wonderful, fruit filled delivery (which I think will recede shortly) and a broad, deep, powerful structure that will support this wine’s fruit for a decade at least; maximum complexity for the appellation and excellent length. Drink today for its wonderful, baby fat fruit but, once this closes down, be prepared to wait 5-7 years for its re-emergence. A terrific wine! 12.8% alcohol and about $25; stealing at that price.

2006 Edmunds St. John, Gamay Noir Rosé Bone-Jolly:

We left our place in NC at the end of April, fully intending to return within ten days. But things got out of hand and we didn’t get back for two months. I had left half a bottle of this wine (under screw cap) in the refrigerator and when we returned I thought for sure it was DOA. Wrong!

It’s not like opening a fresh bottle but it has great strawberry scents, plenty of cut and vibrant fruit on the palate – after two months in the fridge! I spoke to Steve about it and he opined that the CO2 it was bottled with coupled with how fresh it was at bottling was responsible for this amazing feat. No matter; for those of you with this wine in your cellar: it will take the worst you have to give and deliver that exquisite dry rosé wine you bought to begin with. What a wine; 13.2% alcohol and about $17; more than worth the price.

2006 Dry Stack Cellars, Sauvignon Blanc Rosemary’s Vineyard:

Although I tasted this out of barrel and decided immediately to buy a case, I had not tasted it since it got bottled. But a case had arrived in NC and when we got here, we opened a bottle with lunch. Lots of grapefruit scents on the nose but this has real viscosity on the palate with pineapple and mango flavors added to the grapefruit tones, good cut, plenty of staying power and a nice, mouthwatering finish. My favorite sauvignon blanc produced from . . . well, anywhere. ‘Terrific wine that I will consume over the next twelve months. 14.1% alcohol and about $20; I bought plenty.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com