• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tea Sandwiches

Amy Eber

We are having a problem keeping afternoon tea sandwiches moist. Tea lasts two hours and the sandwiches are kept under a glass dome yet the different breads still tend to dry out. Obviously we cannot drape a damp towel over them once they are out on the table. I still have to try lightly misting them but would appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

don't know if this will work, but maybe you could individually wrap each sandwich in some butcher or wax paper? Make it pretty and tie each with some ribbon?

could be very time consuming and might actually look silly

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Maybe if you kept a few wedges of apple (rubbed with lemon juice to prevent them from turning brown) in with the sandwiches? Works for moistening hard, brown sugar. :biggrin:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Really? I never heard of this trick before. Have you tried it? The bread does not get soggy? Very clever. Thanks. One friend mists lightly with water.

quote=K8memphis,Jun 20 2007, 08:56 PM]

Brush lightly with milk.

I would try layering the sandwiches with waxed paper and slightly damp paper towels (insert the damp towel between 2 pieces of waxed paper, so that the damp towel is not actually touching the sandwiches).

Also put a damp paper towel covered with wax paper on the very bottom.

I have never tried this with sandwiches, but I use it with stacks of summer rolls all the time and it keeps the rice paper from drying out (at least for several hours). I don't see why it wouldn't also do the same for sandwiches.

The key is that you are trying to introduce some additional moisture inside the container holding the sandwiches, but not so much as to make them soggy. I find that the wax paper allows some transfer of moisture from the paper towels, but not too much.

Let us know if you find a solution. A dried out sandwich is very unappealing, for sure.

The sandwiches cannot be put out for tea time with layers of wax paper and damp towels. That method works well during prep and there is no one who can keep running back and forth to restock every 15 miniitues so they really must stay out under a glass dome. I ran a few tests today. The miik brushing idea seems to work as does lighlty misting them with water - a trick a lot of caterers use. I am still hoping for more ideas.

I would try layering the sandwiches with waxed paper and slightly damp paper towels (insert the damp towel between 2 pieces of waxed paper, so that the damp towel is not actually touching the sandwiches).

Also put a damp paper towel covered with wax paper on the very bottom.

I have never tried this with sandwiches, but I use it with stacks of summer rolls all the time and it keeps the rice paper from drying out (at least for several hours).  I don't see why it wouldn't also do the same for sandwiches.

The key is that you are trying to introduce some additional moisture inside the container holding the sandwiches, but not so much as to make them soggy.  I find that the wax paper allows some transfer of moisture from the paper towels, but not too much.

Let us know if you find a solution.  A dried out sandwich is very unappealing, for sure.