• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

USA's use of GM yeast

Don Giovanni

USA's use of GM yeast prompts wine debate 'frankenfoods'

"For the time being, the release of ML01 to the North American market should make little or no difference to what is done in Australia, as this yeast has not been approved for use in this country," he said.

Click On Me

sigh...more scientific illiteracy. (edit: I wasn't saying that you are illiterate!...just that such concerns usually are)

practically all foodstuffs have been genetically modified by humans.

for example cauliflower, broccoli, turnips, kale and rutabaga have never existed as "natural plants"....they were genetically modified by humans from the mustard plant (which does and did exist "naturally"). pretty impressive to get all that from one plant actually.

Edited by Nathan (log)

sigh...more scientific illiteracy.

for example cauliflower, broccoli, turnips, kale and rutabaga have never existed as "natural plants"....they were genetically modified by humans from the mustard plant (which does and did exist "naturally").  pretty impressive to get all that from one plant actually.

These vegetables were modified through selection for type, and by cross-breeding, in-breeding and hybridization. These processes mimic the way plants and animals evolve in nature. The only difference is that humans are choosing which progeny survive to reproduce.

Genetic modification, on the other hand, involves direct manipulation of the genetic code. It involves splicing genes from one cell into another. You now have transgenic organisms--corn that carries genes from bacteria, plants that contain genes of animal origin, etc. They are not at all the same.

No, gene splicing doesn't make them inherently dangerous. Some might be, most probably aren't. But, unless these products are provided to me for free, I reserve the right to choose for myself and to make an informed decision.

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

for example cauliflower, broccoli, turnips, kale and rutabaga have never existed as "natural plants"....they were genetically modified by humans from the mustard plant (which does and did exist "naturally").  pretty impressive to get all that from one plant actually.

These vegetables were modified through selection for type, and by cross-breeding, in-breeding and hybridization. These processes mimic the way plants and animals evolve in nature. The only difference is that humans are choosing which progeny survive to reproduce.

Genetic modification, on the other hand, involves direct manipulation of the genetic code. It involves splicing genes from one cell into another. You now have transgenic organisms--corn that carries genes from bacteria, plants that contain genes of animal origin, etc. They are not at all the same.

No, gene splicing doesn't make them inherently dangerous. Some might be, most probably aren't. But, unless these products are provided to me for free, I reserve the right to choose for myself and to make an informed decision.

April

not really. cross-breeding, in-breeding and hybridization do not mimic natural selection. furthermore, the "origin" of genes are irrelevant. DNA is DNA.

in addition, natural selection, cross-breeding, in-breeding and hybridization have produced dangerous crops and organisms.

I would support a label on all GM products....including every plant variety and animal that never existed indigenous to nature.

April

not really. cross-breeding, in-breeding and hybridization do not mimic natural selection. furthermore, the "origin" of genes are irrelevant. DNA is DNA.

in addition, natural selection, cross-breeding, in-breeding and hybridization have produced dangerous crops and organisms.

I would support a label on all GM products....including every plant variety and animal that never existed indigenous to nature.

I agree and this way we shall know what we are consuming... DNA to DNA and the source... I want to know if the chicken I eat is not part pig...lol...you get my drift...pun intended...