• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Downtown San Diego

houkah

The best Mexican food in the city is not close to where you're going to be and would require going into areas that might make a non-local a little uncomfortable.

So, just in case we don't mind discomfort, what is this place you speak of?

The place is called Super Cocina (no web site) and it's located at the intersection of University Ave. and Cherokee which is in the City Heights neighborhood. It's perfectly safe during the day, the neighborhood is just a bit frayed around the edges. It's probably a 15-20 minute drive from downtown for people that don't know the area. Super Cocina serves up comida casera, or Mexican home-style cooking. The staff are not professional cooks but rather home cooks who cook their specialties. Each has to cook for the owner and his family before they can be hired.

I've sent more than one person here who has turned around and walked out when they saw that the food was held in steam tables. It was their loss (or snobbery, take your pick), don't be put off by the steam tables. Many of the items there benefit from the moist heat, such as the assorted guisados that are served daily. The staff working the steam table will give you a taste of almost anything you ask for, they want you to like what you get. You can order 1 item or 2 item plates that come with fairly forgettable rice and beans, but you aren't there for the rice and beans, you're there for the entrees. Your plate will also come with tortillas (corn) which are, unfortunately, warmed in a microwave so eat them quickly. They are open for breakfast and serve up some delicious chilaquiles.

A couple doors down from Super Cocina is a Carnitas Moreliana which is pretty good, and next door to the carnitas place is Fruitilandia, which as the name implies, sells Mexican style fruits along with smoothies and such. I like Fruitilandia but it's a lot like the neighborhood, a little worn around the edges. And while they have an "A" rating from the local department of health (which is really quite strict), the place always seems to a little unkempt, which puts a lot of people off. When fruit is really ripe (and that's not so much in February) they make a dynamite fruit salad combo with (or without) cottage cheese and honey that is a meal in itself.

You said you didn't want taco trucks but there's a pretty good mariscos truck at University and 35th, about 3 or 4 blocks West of Super Cocina that serves up some terrific and weird tacos. It's called Mariscos German. The smoked marlin taco is outstanding and the marlin has a meaty taste resembling carnitas, it's hard to explain. The taco gobenadore is a shrimp taco loaded with cheese and sauteed vegetables. Actually they serve shrimp tacos a number of ways, none of them battered or fried. All the tacos come with a styro cup of consume with a whole shrimp (head and all) floating in it. I think the whole shrimp is over cooked and mushy, but the consume is lovely. They do have a really funky little sit down restaurant of the same name located at 28th and Ocean View Blvd. which is about 3 or 4 miles east of Petco Park. It's in Barrio Logan which is a pretty gritty neighborhood, it's definitely safe during the day but it's not very scenic (i.e. no Ocean View). You can't miss the building, it's in the shape of a boat.

In the Golden Hills neighborhood, also only a few miles east of downtown, at 25th and "C" St. is Panchita's bakery (next door to Jaycee Market). I am not a huge fan of Mexican pastries, but the ones here are REALLY good. If you go, just grab a pizza tray and tongs and load up. I was there recently and picked up 4 cookies, an empanada and a puff pastry thingie and the entire total for my order was something like $3.95. And everything was excellent, though the guava filling in the empanada didn't really taste much like guava.

For a real ethnic experience take the 94 east from downtown to the I-805 southbound (about 5 miles) and go 2 exits on the 805 to the 43rd St. exit. Follow the exit ramp around a long, slow right curve up to the stoplight. Cross the street and you'll be in the parking lot for Northgate Market which is the best Mexican/Latin market in town. It's huge and it is AMAZING. I've found fruits, vegetables, herbs and other "stuff" that I've only seen or eaten in Mexico. Their panaderia is super with a wall of pan dulces and a never ending supply of warm, fresh out of the oven bolillos that people have been known to fight over. They do have a deli and food court that, to be honest, I think it's pretty hit or miss. I haven't been that impressed with their offerings but I do know people that have enjoyed the food from the food court. This place is really a worthy field trip, except they get really testy if you try and take pictures.

I doubt you'll find uni at Tin Fish, but Nobu might have it. Sushi Ota in Pacific Beach or Sakura up on Convoy in Kearney Mesa are probably your best bets. You also might want to check out JSix and their JBar. Both are good.

You also might want to check out the 30th St. corridor in North Park, it's got some of the hottest new restaurants in town right now. Aperitivo, Urban Solace or The Linkery would all do fine for a medium sized group, and all are turning out pretty interesting food for San Diego.

Also in North Park is El Comal (Google it they do have a web site). It's on Illinois Ave. about a 1/2 block north of University (yes, University is a B-I-G street and traverses most of the city). It's good Mexican food, the neighborhood won't freak anyone out, parking will be a b*tchvery because it's in a residential neighborhood. It's not a large place but it is quaint and charming and the food is not taco shop or taqueria fare, it's the real deal. Posole is a ubiquitous to western Mexico and they serve up a good version. This is the place you should probably check out if you're going to venture outside of the downtown area, it really is worth seeking out. The waitresses understand English, I'm not sure how much they really speak.

It's midnight my time, I gotta go to bed...

I wouldn't call the Hard Rock upscale by any means and frankly I would avoid it. Nobu in the Hard Rock? Hmmm...I'd rather go to the original Nobu in Solana Beach but maybe would be okay in a pinch. If I was recommending upscale to friends I would say Croce's is very nice with wide variety of food. Greystone is an excellent steakhouse. George's on 5th is also an excellent steakhouse. For Thai, Rama is very cool and very delicious (ask to sit by the waterfall in the back). Monsoon is also very very tasty. There is a pretty nice sushi bar that's down the street from Ghirardelli but I can't remember the name of it. It's on 5th. All these places are in the Gaslamp downtown. Yeah, Mexican here is hit and miss. If you have good places in PA then I wouldn't look too hard for it here as it probably won't be any better or different. Be prepared for somewhat rainy weather.

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

I wouldn't call the Hard Rock upscale by any means and frankly I would avoid it.  Nobu in the Hard Rock?  Hmmm...I'd rather go to the original Nobu in Solana Beach but maybe would be okay in a pinch.  If I was recommending upscale to friends I would say Croce's is very nice with wide variety of food.  Greystone is an excellent steakhouse.  George's on 5th is also an excellent steakhouse.  For Thai, Rama is very cool and very delicious (ask to sit by the waterfall in the back).  Monsoon is also very very tasty.  There is a pretty nice sushi bar that's down the street from Ghirardelli but I can't remember the name of it.  It's on 5th.  All these places are in the Gaslamp downtown.  Yeah, Mexican here is hit and miss.  If you have good places in PA then I wouldn't look too hard for it here as it probably won't be any better or different.  Be prepared for somewhat rainy weather.

This is a different Nobu. In the new Hard Rock hotel there is an outpost of teh famous Nobu (of Nobu Matsuhisa/Drew Neioporent) not the local SD place.

For casual Japanees you might consider Taka (which is what you might be talking about Octabeman).

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

On a direct route from airport to Cabrillo Monument is Point Loma Seafood.

If its a nice day, perhaps try that instead of Mexican ?

Its a wait-in-line, place-order-at-fish-counter, grab-a-table-outside kind of place, on the edge of a marina.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I wouldn't call the Hard Rock upscale by any means and frankly I would avoid it.  Nobu in the Hard Rock?  Hmmm...I'd rather go to the original Nobu in Solana Beach but maybe would be okay in a pinch.  If I was recommending upscale to friends I would say Croce's is very nice with wide variety of food.  Greystone is an excellent steakhouse.  George's on 5th is also an excellent steakhouse.  For Thai, Rama is very cool and very delicious (ask to sit by the waterfall in the back).  Monsoon is also very very tasty.  There is a pretty nice sushi bar that's down the street from Ghirardelli but I can't remember the name of it.  It's on 5th.  All these places are in the Gaslamp downtown.  Yeah, Mexican here is hit and miss.  If you have good places in PA then I wouldn't look too hard for it here as it probably won't be any better or different.  Be prepared for somewhat rainy weather.

This is a different Nobu. In the new Hard Rock hotel there is an outpost of teh famous Nobu (of Nobu Matsuhisa/Drew Neioporent) not the local SD place.

For casual Japanees you might consider Taka (which is what you might be talking about Octabeman).

Correct Swicks. Been to the Nobu in Manhattan, and Morimoto in Philly. Nobu in SD would be good - Nobu anywhere would be good.

So far, it's a toss up between Mama Testa, Chilango's, or Miguel's Cocina (last choice) for lunch tomorrow. Porkyland in La Jolla or Mariscos German truck for lunch Friday. Dinners will be either Oceanaire or Nobu.

One more question about Coronado: Is there a nice place for lunch near the beach? I know there is the Hotel, but is there a lunch spot with a good vibe and scenery? Coronado will be our 1st stop before tide pools. I've been to Coronado and it is beautiful with a capital B. I think if there were a great place with great food and local scenery, we'd probably wind up there. Then I'll catch up my missed Mexican lunch on Saturday...

Spoon!

Correct Swicks. Been to the Nobu in Manhattan, and Morimoto in Philly. Nobu in SD would be good - Nobu anywhere would be good.

So far, it's a toss up between Mama Testa, Chilango's, or Miguel's Cocina (last choice) for lunch tomorrow. Porkyland in La Jolla or Mariscos German truck for lunch Friday. Dinners will be either Oceanaire or Nobu.

One more question about Coronado: Is there a nice place for lunch near the beach? I know there is the Hotel, but is there a lunch spot with a good vibe and scenery? Coronado will be our 1st stop before tide pools. I've been to Coronado and it is beautiful with a capital B. I think if there were a great place with great food and local scenery, we'd probably wind up there. Then I'll catch up my missed Mexican lunch on Saturday...

Nothing near the beach that is good, but I like Tartine near the Ferry Landing.

You should check out the wine vault and Bistro in Mission hills, the ambience is super casual, they serve great wine incredibly priced and the food is outstanding. winevaultbistro.com shows all there wine driven events and a sample of menus