• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner after Museum Mile night

jwjojo

Going to the museums tonight and would like to dine in the area. The only restaurants I can find sound great, but beyond my budget...also going with a non foodie. Any help is much appreciated.

No more than 20 dollars per person if possible.  Thank you.  Again, going out with a non foodie.

Eek. This is tough on the UES. If you order right and forgo alcohol, you might be ok at Bar Etats-Unis (probably closer to $35, in reality).

Maybe E.A.T. on Madison at 83rd? Sandwiches, salads, etc. Overpriced, but should still come in at your budget level.

There are any number of little coffee shop/diner type places on Madison in the 70's and 80's...that may be a good bet.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Depending how widely you define "the area," I might suggest Cafe d'Alsace, at 88th and 2nd, or the Bar at Etat Unis (81st between 2nd and 3rd) as being very solid choices.

My last two experiences at Cafe d'Alsace have not been great...however, every meal I've had at Bar Etats-Unis has been very good, and their wine list is great.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Isn't there a Wu-Liang Ye on 86th between 2nd and 3rd? Might be a better choice in your budget, and if I recall, it's supposed to be pretty good.

Could always go to J.G. Melon's for a great burger, fries, and a beer - all for under $20 at 74th and 3rd.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

No more than 20 dollars per person if possible.  Thank you.  Again, going out with a non foodie.

woah! burger or chinese or a diner...I'd think about Jackson Hole or something.

Wu Liang Ye would be your best bet except not because of your dining companion (as with any decent Sichuan place, the Cantonese-American items at Wu aren't so good and the Sichuan items can be rather challenging).

edit: a bacon cheeseburger at Melon's is $9 (a plain burger is $8)...fries are $3.75. Beer is another 5-6$ tax is $1.50. tip is $4. total: $23.25

that might be your best bet.

Edited by Nathan (log)

Your best bet is probably to get on the subway and get out of the area. Every restaurant from Madison to Lex will likely be mobbed. If you're going to stay uptown to eat, try someplace on Third or Second Avenue, like Nick's or, as suggested above, Wu Liang Ye. El Paso on 97th is good Mexican but might not be far enough East to be out of the danger zone -- you could walk by and check.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

woah! burger or chinese or a diner...I'd think about Jackson Hole or something.

Wu Liang Ye would be your best bet except not because of your dining companion (as with any decent Sichuan place, the Cantonese-American items at Wu aren't so good and the Sichuan items can be rather challenging).

edit: a bacon cheeseburger at Melon's is $9 (a plain burger is $8)...fries are $3.75. Beer is another 5-6$ tax is $1.50. tip is $4. total: $23.25

that might be your best bet.

Yeah, but if they share an order of fries and just get plain burgers, they can get out for a total of, ummm, $38.23 (assuming that draft beers are only $5, though they may be less, and also assuming they tip a full 20% on a $29.75 bill). And that equals $19.12 each. A best bet indeed.

Oh, just checked, draft beers are less (Sam Adams for $4). You're all set!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Thanks for all your information. We usually do Tang Tang or Pio Pio ... wanted to try something different. Neither of us eat burgers, but I noticed that JG serves Turkey Burgers too. We are not even close to preppy or yuppie though :cool: