• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

having a madeleine moment....

zoe b

this isn't a high level one, but a couple weeks ago i bought some La Costena salsa at the supe--cheap, made in mexico--no cachet about it whatsoever...

and it has the exact taste of the salsa we ate on top of huevos rancheros in every little hole in the wall restaurant in small towns in Mexico--

we had so many breakfasts watching the chickens who laid our eggs running around the dirt yards.

and i've made so many salsas--but this is THE ONE

those very thin, half crispy, half soggy tortillas with runny eggs on top--depending where there might be black beans, ham, cheese, queso fresca, sour cream, onions, cilantro--but wherever, this is the salsa--and it brings it all back.

I can get the same little tortillas at the supe and now that i've found the salsa I'm having huevos rancheros for lunch every day--we have our own hens so the fresh fresh fresh eggs are no problemo--I'm in heaven.

Zoe