• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butter producers

Brad Ballinger

I looked in both the Cooking and Pastry & Baking forums, and couldn't find mention of this topic (at least not with "butter" in the topic title).

It seems to me that the sticks of butter I purchase in the store lately have less than 8 tablespoons per stick. I have not actually weighed the "pound" of butter I buy, so I don't have any scientific support for this claim. But, solely using the tablespoon markings on the wrapping as my "measurement standard," It seems I'm getting short-changed.

So two questions, I guess. 1) Can I trust the tablespoon markings? 2) Am I indeed getting less that 8 tablespoons per stick?

This isn't just smaller portions being packaged (such as ice cream "shrinking" from a half gallon to 1.75 quarts). At least those tell me the portion has shrunk. With butter, it appears to me I'm getting 7.5 tablespoons packaged as 8.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I'm pretty sure it's sold by the pound, and I'm making the assumption one pound = 2 cups = 32 tablespoons. Maybe that's an unfair assumption. Would that make me or the butter more dense?

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I'm pretty sure it's sold by the pound, and I'm making the assumption one pound = 2 cups = 32 tablespoons.  Maybe that's an unfair assumption.  Would that make me or the butter more dense?

The specific gravity of butter is 865, meaning it weighs 86.5/100 that of an equal volume of water.

If your butter has a higher or lower water content it would alter the volume.

SB (who, however, is NOT a chemist or physicist, NOR did he stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night) :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure it's sold by the pound, and I'm making the assumption one pound = 2 cups = 32 tablespoons.  Maybe that's an unfair assumption.  Would that make me or the butter more dense?

The specific gravity of butter is 865, meaning it weighs 86.5/100 that of an equal volume of water.

SB (who, however, is NOT a chemist or physicist, NOR did he stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night) :rolleyes:

That would make a pound of butter have greater volume than a pound of water - 37 tablespoons instead of 32 in a pound.

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog

The entire package should be a full pound of butter. But as you've seen, there's no guarantee that each stick will be four ounces-- especially if each stick is marked 'not labeled for individual sale'. By law, one-pound or half-pound packs of butter shouldn't be sold by the stick for this reason-- you can't be assured of getting a full four ounces per stick.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

That would make a pound of butter have greater volume than a pound of water - 37 tablespoons instead of 32 in a pound.

For most in-home use of butter that wouldn't matter, but it's another example of why quantities in commercial recipes are figured in weight rather than volume measurement.