• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bottle shock ...sickness...travel shock

Don Giovanni

Bottle shock ...sickness...travel shock is it real...I have the truth...

The answer is yes to all...does this happen to all wines...NO...why some and not others ?...for one bottle shock happens when wine is bottled from a non gravity feed bottling line...the wine is exposed to oxygen and bottled...this will shock the wine and about one week after bottling it will shut down...sometimes as short as 4 to 6 weeks to as long as six months for let's say a PN delicate wine...

The oxidized odor is not difficult to recognize;in fact, experienced enologist can identify it even when the acetaldehyde level is very low. The so called bottle-sickness odor following bottling is really an oxidized odor. This may persist for many weeks
I might add this is the book Tom Hill recommended and I thank him...so if you don't use harsh pumps and beat up the wine during bottling than you if no oxidative reaction occurs then you will have a wine without any bottle shock...as for travel shock...this is real...it is to what extent did you disturb the wine...how soon you are going to drink the wine...before it goes into travel shock...you may travel with wine and after 8 hours the wine will still be ok...it's the days after that the wine will shut down for a short period...I have seen this first hand...conclusion: I have seen and experienced bottle shock post bottling...as well as travel shock...I have tendered expert evidence from UCD as to this being not a myth...this is fact...those in denial I can't help change your mind...those in the loop...know I speak the truth...another learning expedition that helped me understand what I experienced... it's great to learn...

Wines bottled using gravity flow experience bottling shock too. I think it takes pinot noir a few months to fully recover.

I can't tell from your post, but are you inferring that someone thinks bottle shock does not exist?

Craig,

Yes, exactly many people just don't believe in it...I have been called out on the subject to be mocked as if it was a mythical-science...finally I found with the help of Tom Hill the truth...a study by UCD to back me up...

Cheers !

PS PN what a delicate wine...