• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High Quality Garlic in NYC

I went to a Korean Restaurant several years ago and I tasted a piece of raw garlic that was so strong, I had a burning sensation on my tongue.

Where can one purchase garlic like this in New York for cooking at home?

No, I didn't. I have been in there hundreds of times; however, it didn't strike me as a place that sold especially high quality garlic. Could it be a different strain of the garlic species altogether (like Asian pear/Apple)? I apologize that I may be grasping at straws here. . .

Did you try the Han Arum on 32nd?

Edited by mascarpone (log)

Garlic is the 5th Element of korean cooking! It's very very important to most of their dishes. I don't imagine, in a pinch, a proper Korean chef trotting into Whole Foods or A&P for that matter. Yours was probably fresh from Korean/Chinese distributors and therefore available at the Han Arum, who probably stock it for retail but also for the surrounding restaurants on the regular or in a punch - or perhaps hulled, jarred etc. and on the shelf. I'm not aware of special garlic in Japanese. I'm pretty sure Chinese garlic is frowned upon because South Korea's refusal to import it almost started a trade war. I personally don't like Chinese or Mexican garlic so much. You should just go in to the Han Arum and ask them, the usual guys are pretty nice and helpful and speak English, and Japanese for that matter.

quick google, lookie!

4491 Korean Red - whole bulbs, 1/2 lb bag, $9.95

A big bulbed hardneck from Korea, where folks really know their garlic. Its garlic that makes kim chee a world wide favorite! The big cloves are also easy to peel. Certified organic. US/C

ADVANCED ORDERS COMING SOON!

http://thegarlicstore.com/index.cgi/hardneck.html

but seriously, if you can't get a Korean bulb of garlic on 32nd street, this isn't NYC

Wow! Thanks, Raji.

Garlic is the 5th Element of korean cooking! It's very very important to most of their dishes. I don't imagine, in a pinch, a proper Korean chef trotting into Whole Foods or A&P for that matter. Yours was probably fresh from Korean/Chinese distributors and therefore available at the Han Arum, who probably stock it for retail but also for the surrounding restaurants on the regular or in a punch - or perhaps hulled, jarred etc. and on the shelf. I'm not aware of special garlic in Japanese. I'm pretty sure Chinese garlic is frowned upon because South Korea's refusal to import it almost started a trade war. I personally don't like Chinese or Mexican garlic so much. You should just go in to the Han Arum and ask them, the usual guys are pretty nice and helpful and speak English, and Japanese for that matter.

quick google, lookie!

4491  Korean Red - whole bulbs, 1/2 lb bag, $9.95

A big bulbed hardneck from Korea, where folks really know their garlic. Its garlic that makes kim chee a world wide favorite! The big cloves are also easy to peel. Certified organic. US/C

ADVANCED ORDERS COMING SOON!

http://thegarlicstore.com/index.cgi/hardneck.html

but seriously, if you can't get a Korean bulb of garlic on 32nd street, this isn't NYC

I was in the neighborhood, so I went to Hanahreum Asian Market at 25 West 32nd Street. I asked for Korean Red Garlic, but they only had regular garlic, and garlic in a net bag that was imported from China. When I asked several produce guys they just said they didn't carry it, and did not know where to find it.

Perhaps I got the wrong location . . .

Nope that's the place.... I bet their Chinese garlic is not bad, but not what you're looking for... have you even looked at Whole Foods or Fairway? I bet they'd have it in Flushing. Another strong possibility is the Mitsuwa in across the river in Edgewater, NJ... they carry a lot of meats and products for Yakiniku, Japanese Korean BBQ, and they're also owned by Koreans now

Korean groceries in the NY area, including Han Ah Rheum, carry conventional garlic; most won't even know what "Korean garlic" is if you ask for it.

Garlic is a staple in every dish so Koreans prefer the convenience of pre-peeled cloves that come in jars and styro packaging. It's probably a combination of oxygen exposure and age, but pre-peeled stuff is stronger than garlic you peel fresh from a bulb.

Try buying cloves that come in a plastic deli container and taste the difference.