• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Edit History

There is no edit history to show, or this comment was edited by a moderator.

• Similar Content

• By pastrygirl
      What are the best, darkest chocolates you've found in wholesale quantities?  Aside from 100%, that is ... I'm thinking in the 75-90% range, available in quantities of 5-20 kg.  It's definitely niche, but between the chocolate nerds and the low-carb-ers there's a market.
      Right now, 72% Felchlin Arriba is the darkest I use, in a bar with candied orange.   I have not tried their Elvesia 74% or Sao Palme 75% but it looks like I can get them from AUI.  A Felchlin 88% exists, but would be a special order arriving in a few months (their next container shipment?).  
      Valrhona makes the Abinao 85% but that would be another special order.  I'm pretty sure I tried it at one point and liked it.  Does anyone keep it in stock?
      How is KaKao Berlin?  They have a Brandenberg 75% but I'm not familiar with the brand.
      Any others?  Or I could make my own and have the super dark be my one bean-to bar flavor ...
    • By pastrygirl
      The cheese Easter Egg! 
      I don't know that it beats chocolate, but I do love cheese!  Enough that now I'm wanting to create a savory, cocoa-butter based cheese version of my chocolate Easter eggs ...
      Would you prefer your Easter egg be cheese?
    • By pastrygirl
      I had a chance to try a couple of Valrhona's new "inspirations" flavors today, the passion fruit and the almond.  The almond was good but I'd probably add salt.  The passion fruit is intense and delicious, I bet you could cut it with a sweeter white chocolate and still get good flavor.  They also have strawberry.  These are cocoa-butter based so can be used for shell molding.  https://inter.valrhona.com/en/inspiration-valrhona-innovation
      I could definitely see using these.  Passion fruit is one of my favorite flavors, and I already indulge in the convenience of Perfect Puree so I don't think this would compromise my integrity   
      Just wanted to share.  Available soon, probably expensive
    • By curls
      So I've remelted some Valrhona Azelia that was extra from another project and even at 45° C the chocolate has small lumps. If I press a lump against the side of the melter (or between my fingers) it smooths out but I can't remove all the lumps that way. For tonight, I poured all the chocolate through a sieve and pushed the lumps thru with a silicone spatula. That solves the problem for today but I want to know, what caused those lumps in the first place? Also, if this happens again, is there a better way to correct the problem? I have never had this happen before with any couverture (including the Azelia) and hope you can tell me how I can prevent this from happening .
    • By anonymouse
      I've been working with the Boiron purée recipe tables (chocolate and PdF, ice cream) - some good successes.  However the document is very terse and I wondered whether anyone who is experienced with these formulae might clarify what the expected result is:
      - "Fruit ganaches" and "Fruit and caramel ganaches".  I think these are supposed to produce a ganache for cutting and enrobing, although when I tried it came out far too soft to be dipped???
      - "Ganaches to be combined with fruit pastes" - I think these are to be layered above PdF and enrobed - is that right?
      - "Chocolate molded sweets" - Are these intended to be served as is, ie moulded without a layer of couverture going into the mould first? However the instructions talk about pouring into a frame.
      - "Fruity delight" - looks like a fairly light dessert to go into a parfait glass.  Has anyone done these and how do they turn out?  How do they compare to the sabayon-based ones in the Boiron ice cream book?
      I'm going to start working through some of the ice creams next week and it will be interesting to see how these turn out.
      Thanks for any advice.