• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Port Restaurant

Swicks

A quick report on two recent meals at this new spot in Corona Del Mar Village.

Full disclosure: The head chef is a family friend so I will try to refrain from shilling too much

I have eaten here twice in the last few weeks and I can see this place becoming a regular haunt for me, particularly so since I live in the neighborhood.

The restaurant is housed in the former Svelte space on Heliotrope though a minor redesign has increased the comfort level of the space. The decor is simple and modern. While small the space is nice and a lovely bar area with a patio is great for a quick dinner or drink, in fact my first meal there was at the bar.

There are two menus a bar menu with small plate type items and a full regular menu. Both are on the small side emphasizing the simple fresh ingredients and excellent preparations. There are some interesting items on the bar menu while the dinner menu focuses on simplicity with a few types of beef, some fish, and chicken. A quick summary of the items I have tried between the two meals, one by myself and one with my family.

Beef Shortribs with creamy polenta and roasted baby veggies - Excellent, probably the second best shortribs i have ever had next to the ones at Stonehill Tavern.

Mussels and Clams - Very good, awesome broth with leeks, white wine and garlic. Unfortunately the bread left a lot to be desired as it was a basic baguette of mediocre quality. However, somehow, I made it work :biggrin:

Pan fried gnocchi with house made sausage, spinach, and morels - Amazing, very simple and delicious, the accompanying creamy sauce was just light enough. So good.

I also had some of two deserts, a chocolate tart which was mediocre and a strawberry crumble which was delicious.

Wine list is small with a variety of choices from around the world including a bunch of good selections by the glass. The Dutton Ranch Pinot Noir we had at the second meal was very very good.

Service was very personable and helpful.

As I said before, Port is a great local spot, simple delicious preparations and a great bar menu are the standouts at this new spot. I highly recommend this restaurant.

ETA: The restaurant's website is http://www.portcdm.com

Edited by Swicks (log)

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Very cool, Swicks! I'll add this to my list of places to eat for my August visit...

Carolyn,

Let me know what your plans are for your upcoming trip when you get it squared away and perhaps I can offer some suggestions.

Cheers!

-Scott

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Very cool, Swicks! I'll add this to my list of places to eat for my August visit...

Carolyn,

Let me know what your plans are for your upcoming trip when you get it squared away and perhaps I can offer some suggestions.

Cheers!

-Scott

I've already booked a room on the beach in Laguna from Monday April 6th through Friday the 11th. No way I want to fight the usual weekend crowds during Art Festival season! Really, the only place I have in mind for dining is The Five Crowns and that is wholly and entirely for nostalgic reasons. Other than that, I am completely open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for five whole days!

Oddly, I'm not familiar with this joint but I'll be sure to put it on my radar. Is it "Port" as in the "Port Theatre" (sadly closing once and for all), or is it "Port" as in the wine term? Or is it a great and clever play on both?

Beef Shortribs with creamy polenta and roasted baby veggies - Excellent, probably the second best shortribs i have ever had next to the ones at Stonehill Tavern.

Not to be a braggart, but you need to come over next time it's cold, next time I've simmered a batch of veal stock for 8 hours, and next time I do my 3-day short ribs. I would LOVE to be at the top of that list. ;-)

Other than that, I am completely open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for five whole days!

Do you know how far North, South or East you're going to be willing to travel during that 5 day period?

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Do you know how far North, South or East you're going to be willing to travel during that 5 day period?

I'll be renting a car and most willing to travel -- most of my friends are in Costa Mesa and Huntington Beach but I also have old friends in Mission Viejo and San Juan Capistrano; seeing any of these people will definitely expand how far away from Laguna-proper I'll be going.

Also, the whole purpose of the trip is to visit as many galleries I can and not limit myself to those that are only viewable by walking around the town or taking the local shuttle (which is what I used to do having only limited myself to day-trips for the festivals).

It just dawned on me that taking one evening to go back up to Gardena for Shin-Sen-Gumi might not be out of the question (this is somewhat of *my* culinary Mecca).

The Laguna Beach galleries are of course, as you know, retail stores. There are some good spots, don't get me wrong, but if you have a chance, you should skip over to the OCMA near Fashion Island. I'm not a huge fan of the permanent collection stuff but the rotating exhibits are usually to die for. Some of the most prolific shows of the last few years have passed through there (John Waters & Beautiful Losers were my favorites). The Lagnua Beach Museum of Art just North of main beach is also usually right on. They recently featured the BisPop show featuring original works and installations from Tim Biskup and Gary Baseman. Great little show.

Costa Mesa has a few new joints opening up soon enough that we're going to try. Florent's "Marche Moderne" at South Coast Plaza among them as I noted in another thread. There is also a new raw/organic joint opening called 118 Degrees. You can always peruse the page of OC openings to see what might be happening nearer your arrival date.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com