• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The stupid water-pitcher design

Fat Guy

In many, many restaurants -- maybe even a majority -- I see in use the same design of stainless steel water pitcher. It's a large cylinder with part of the top flared out to act as an open spout. Over the top of the spout, there's a flat piece of metal attached that narrows the opening in order to prevent chunks of ice from pouring out.

There's just one problem with this design: it doesn't work. Well, it works in that it prevents large chunks of ice from pouring out. But it also prevents water from coming out in sufficient quantity to fill all the glasses on an eight-top in less than an hour.

As a result, almost uniformly, servers use the side-pour with these pitchers. In other words, instead of pouring from the spout, they pour from the side of the pitcher -- ice and all -- thus totally defeating the purpose of the stupid design.

Am I the only person who wonders why these pitchers are still made, and why restaurants still buy them?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Nothing intelligent to add, just a chuckle, as somewhere in the recess of my mind I must have just thought this was one of the cool things busboys do, along with the ability to carry 13 coke glasses in their arms. (OK, OK, I used to be able to carry 13 glasses - Brown, Thompson & Co. called it "flair." But I digress).

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Interesting question. I've seen some with better design and effectiveness, however, for me, it's the "dripping" that often becomes a problem (if applicable). Even the glass size becomes a problem. A glass filled with ice, and thus very little water, leaves me wanting more water very quickly.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...