• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Armadillo

I've never heard of the term Hoover Hog until now, so I did some Googling.

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/...illo_nicknames/

The armadillo (the little armored one) has had many nicknames. “Hoover Hog” was originally applied to the jackrabbit after Herbert Hoover’s Great Depression, but the nickname was also applied to the armadillo. “Poor man’s pig” or “poverty pig” also describe the armadillo as a dish for those who can’t afford better.

The armadillo is the lesser state mammal of Texas, the greater state mammal being, of course, the longhorn cattle.

I am curious about the taste as well.

I ate an armadillo burger - or more accurately, I ate about a third of an armadillo burger.

It was a mistake. I thought the Armadillo Burger at the Armadillo Cafe was just a name for the burger of the house. I didn't know that it means the burger was made of Armadillo. I was thinking of Armadillo as mascot - not as meal.

After a few bites, the oddness of the taste of the burger really started to emerge. The french fries, it turns out, were just fine.

Robin Tyler McWaters

Although I'm from armadillo territory I've never encountered anyone who would admit to have ever et one, although I've known a possum fancier or two. I s'pose it's because they're so kind of helpless-seems like it would be depraved and gruesome to extricate them from their shells. Much worse than cooters which are snapping turtles. Plus most of the time one sees them smushed by the roadside which does not so to speak pique the appetite.