• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using Saran Wrap to Remove Cork Taint

Rebel Rose

Former wine forum guest Mel Knox is quoted in today's LA Times: Simple Solution for Cork Taint

Interesting. You mash up a square foot of plastic wrap, pour your wine over it, mash it down into the pitcher, swirl for FIVE minutes (my arm would get tired!) and voila! No more TCA, aka cork taint.

Polyethylene absorbs TCA like a sponge, says Brian Smith, president of Vinovation, a "wine fix-it shop" that is experimenting with different plastic-filled cartridge filters that can be thrown into cork-tainted barrels or tanks to absorb TCA.

Anyone want to try it?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Hi,

I ahve only tasted "corked" wines three times in the past 15 years. I may have to wait a long time to try this cure.

My first "corked" wine was a 15 year old Lafite at a tasting of first growths. None of us knew why there was an aroma of barnyard compost. Most thought that the wine was getting better as it breathed - IT WAS NOT! The purchaser was convinced that it was improving to the end of the evening. We had 6 old first growths and nobody finished the Lafite.

I thought that Original Saran was not made of polyethylene. Do we use the cheap wrap or the original Saran????

Tim

Plastic wrap does reduce the effect TCA has on a corked wine but it also strips a lot of the fruit - if you start with a great wine that happens to be corked you'll end up with a mediocre wine that isn't obviously corked. It's a good way to make something undrinkable into something drinkable, but don't expect the wine to fully recover.

I ahve only tasted "corked" wines three times in the past 15 years.

You're lucky then. I get them from time to time, and at a recent string of wine tastings there was one corked bottle (out of 12 or so) at 3 tastings in a row. Until recently, I'd never had a corked bottle in a restaurant. Of course, I was in a restaurant telling people this fact and the next bottle we ordered was corked. Typical.

Anyway, I'm not convinced that this method will work, but I must give it a try next time.

Si

My first "corked" wine was a 15 year old Lafite at a tasting of first growths.  None of us knew why there was an aroma of barnyard compost.

my understanding is that the barnyard aroma is usually linked to brett, rather than the TCA of a corked wine.

brett can actually "blow off" (shake the piss out of an affected wine and you'll see). however, most people who know about these things (not me) say that it just kills the wine.

brett is much less common, but i'm curious when people claim they've had corked wines only a few times over many years. industry estimates vary, but they usually average about 5% of bottles having cork taint. from my own experience i usually hit about 5% (1 out of 20 bottles). thankfully there are more alternative closures these days, so it's much less in practice. i'm of the opinion that a lot more corked wine gets unknowingly consumed than people think.

Plastic wrap does reduce the effect TCA has on a corked wine but it also strips a lot of the fruit - if you start with a great wine that happens to be corked you'll end up with a mediocre wine that isn't obviously corked.  It's a good way to make something undrinkable into something drinkable, but don't expect the wine to fully recover.

Dave,

If "it strips a lot of the fruit" could we use Saran to turn Mogen David into reasonable plonk?

Tim