• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

The question of whether colored cocoa butter needs tempering (in any traditional sense) has been debated on eGullet at some length.  Many experts say the act of finger-painting or spraying tempers the c.b.  I am not totally convinced this is true:  If all the Type V crystals are melted out (easy to do in the microwave, I have learned), will simply lowering the temp and agitating the c.b.  temper it?  I have had enough failures with decorating molds and then having trouble getting the chocolates out that I have recently begun testing the c.b. each time.  And if it is out of temper, I just add a little cocoa butter silk (from the EZtemper) to whatever container I am using, stir vigorously, then test.  It has always tested as being in temper with this method.  As I say, this may be overdoing it (and who can argue with some of the beautiful results from those who do not temper?) but it cannot hurt.  When using c.b. from a bottle that is still solid, I use the method mentioned by Kerry--but in that case Type V crystals are being introduced from the unmelted c.b.

Jim D.

Jim D.

The question of whether colored cocoa butter needs tempering (in any traditional sense) has been debated on eGullet at some length.  Many experts say the act of finger-painting or spraying tempers the c.b.  I am not totally convinced this is true:  If all the Type V crystals are melted out (easy to do in the microwave, I have learned), will simply lowering the temp and agitating the c.b.  temper it?  I have had enough failures with decorating molds and then having trouble getting the chocolates out that I have recently begun testing the c.b. each time.  And if it is out of temper, I just add a little cocoa butter silk (from the EZtemper) to whatever container I am using, stir vigorously, then test.  It has always tested as being in temper with this method.  As I say, this may be overdoing it (and who can argue with some of the beautiful results from those who do not temper)? but it cannot hurt.  When using c.b. from a bottle that is still solid, I use the method mentioned by Kerry--but in that case Type V crystals are being introduced from the unmelted c.b.