• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chorizo, the other chorizo, chorico and li(n)guica

So, as near as I can tell, chorizo is sometimes a salami-like sausage from Europe with a lot of paprika and a bit of a zing to it that happens to go really well with dried apples, and other times an incredibly spicy Mexican sausage, also with paprika that needs to be cooked but makes a mean taco.

I have also been led to believe liguica (or linguica -- it seems to go both ways) is a milder version of chorico, but I'm hazy on what relationship, if any, chorico has with either chorizo. Is it more or less the same thing as the Mexican one?

Edited by GordonD (log)

Concerning chorizo versus linguica, there are two types of chorizo. The Mexican type is soft and must be cooked.  The Spanish style chorizo is more similar to linguica, as it is a cured, dried sausage, but it is heavily flavored with paprika.
source for information
LINGUICA.

This fairly spicy, Portuguese smoked garlic sausage should be cooked before serving. Closest substitutes: linguisa, kielbasa, Spanish chorizo or andouille.

CHORIZO.

Spanish chorizo is made from pork, and very hot and spicy. Closest substitutes: kielbasa, pepperoni or other dry-cured pork sausage, linguisa (hotter) or Mexican chorizo (this needs to be cooked).

source for this information Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

chorizo is Spanish sausage. Chouriço/a is Portuguese sausage. both are similar but not exactly, and have roots in Iberia. there are many different types using different spices and cuts of pork [and sometimes breeds of pigs] such as Linguiça [milder, made of coarsely chopped pork shoulder -not tongue-, seasoned with paprika and garlic. then there are paio, azedo, salpicão,and loads more. Portuguese chouriço/a par excellence is very garlicky and spicy, some types are very lean and exquisite. apparently only the members of the family know the blend of pork and spices. [i'm refering to the smoked and cured types here, btw.] try char-grilled chouriço with aguardente which is set alight at your table.