• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wu Chon House

glauer

I thought the Boston/New England forum needs to be much busier. The best way seems to just start writing more myself. So this is a start.

I was just in the mood for a quick and simple dinner tonight when driving by Union Square. Wu Chon House being one of my favorite ethnic places in Boston I easily convinced myself to stop.

I only had the spicy silken tofu seafood stew, but this simple dish reminded me why this is one of the few truly above average asian restaurants in the city.

The different kimchis are already a good indicator of what is to follow. A very nice variety, impeccably fresh and very natural flavors. I needed seconds despite the generous serving.

The stew was boiling hot, and definitely spicy, with wonderful smooth tofu and a small amount of seafood with a fresh salty taste. The seafood was almost more a spice than a main ingredient, which I really liked-it kept it light and left the focus on the tofu. This quick meal made me really, really happy because everything I had was simple perfection .

Usually I go to Wu Chon with a large group so we can order lots of different dishes (Kalbi, spicy pork and spicy squid being maybe my favorites), but the soups and stews make wonderful alone dinners.

Tomorrow I will be at Locke-Ober. Lets see whether they prepare their dishes as flawless. I shall report.

I agree...we definitely need more Boston/NE activity! I like Wu Chon quite a bit, but haven't been there in a while. If anyone's interested, they have their menu posted on their website.

I'm really interested to see what you think of Locke-Ober. I just can't decide whether I want to go there or not :wink: