• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stretch's

1ToughCustomer

We don't eat there as often as we would like to. It is a casual BYO neighborhood dive with very good food. We get the chopped salad, special pasta with pot cheese (it's not on the menu) and usually a chicken Murphy. They are known for their chicken Savoy as the owner is the son or nephew from Belmont Tavern. Last time we were there Lowell had fish which was excellent. I also like their eggplant parm. Inexpensive prices.

This is a review I wrote about 3-4 years ago.

I eat at Stretch's a few times a month because the food is good, portions large and prices reasonable. You need to be told about the excellent food at this small neighborhood BYO storefront restaurant because the place is a "dive" with two televisions playing, no tablecloths and an easy to miss entrance off of the main street. The one attractive feature in the dining room is a delightful mural depicting stores on Mt. Pleasant Avenue in Livingston, along with the Belmont Tavern in Belleville where the original restaurant still exists.

Service is casual, specials are recited without their prices and you are not told how they are cooked! For example, the waitress will say, "we have flounder, mussels and salmon tonight." Wine is not poured nor are glasses replaced when a new bottle is opened. Although this is a very nonchalant eatery it gets very busy on weekends and reservations are only taken for five or more.

APPETIZERS: Ask for olive oil with garlic in place of the foiled butter to dip the crusty Italian bread that is placed on the Formica table when you are seated. Stretch's salad, large enough for two or three people, is a worthy starter containing chopped mozzarella, roasted red peppers, black olives, red onions, tomatoes and lettuce dressed in a robust balsamic vinaigrette. Greaseless, buoyant fried calamari served with a sweet tomato sauce is crisp with a delightful crunch. Although we love the scungilli salad with celery, red peppers and onions in a lemon/garlic vinaigrette our best liked appetizer is the giambotta ordered with a mix of hot and sweet peppers providing a robust flavor to the potatoes, onions and mushrooms in this dish. Mussels fra diavolo, clams oreganato, broccoli rabe and hot peppers are other exemplary appetizers.

ENTREES: Chicken on the bone is featured here and the Chicken Murphy, a luscious mountain of chicken, hot or sweet peppers, potatoes, onions and mushrooms or Chicken Savoy, a house specialty, containing chicken baked with herbs and spices in a tangy wine vinegar sauce are our favorites. The double cut pork chop pizziaola is so yummy you will end up gnawing the bone to get every morsel of the flavorful tender meat. The massive portions of eggplant parmigiana is another well prepared dish with a delicious tomato sauce. Individual entrees can be created by pairing marinara, oil and garlic, vodka or a special cheese sauce with a variety of pasta shapes along with ricotta cheese, sausage, meatballs, mushrooms, broccoli and peas. Lowell and I love the penne with pot cheese. Steak lovers are not forgotten and those with voracious appetites can order a shell steak as well as steak giambotta or steak pizzaiola. Seafood is often a special and I especially like the angel hair linguine with broccoli rabe and shrimp in a garlic and oil sauce; a satisfying dish which reheats beautifully the next day.

DESSERTS: You probably won't have room for the desserts which are not made in house but in an emergency the tira misu or ices are good. Coffee is not great, but drinkable.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 4 months later...

Tommy - The Belmont is a dive with great food. If you seek service and/or atmosphere definitely go elsewhere! They serve everything family style and it isn't just hype - the chicken savoy is really that great! Served on the bone - it is so mouthwatering you could skip the chicken and just have the sauce!

A.D.S.

what *is* chicken savoy. and chicken murphy for that matter? sounds like something old-school that is probably swimming in butter or oil. is it really that special? i'm doubting it.

they gots wine at Belmont? wait, let me guess: 1 blush, a chardonnay, and a merlot? maybe some italians in boxes?

Chicken Savoy is as i recall bone in or boneless(bone in much better in my book) chicken pieces in a balsamic and garlic sauce. Others can describe it better i'm sure. If you're talking about the Belmont Tavern on Scotland Rd in Orange, I've never been there, but it's not in the most beautiful and/or safe neighborhoods(i live around 2 miles down the road). It's got a sign that says "live entertainment" if that interests you :wink:

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

Chicken savoy is done in a balsamic vinegar sauce with garlic, herbs and parmesean...trust me it is worth a trip for this dish alone...they have wine(full bar most likely packed with Soprano types watching whichever game they happen to have money riding on) but from what I recall a limited selection, slightly more sophisticated then what you described...I'm sure you'll find a Ruffino Chianti if nothing else...Belmont Tavern is on Bloomfield Ave. in Belleville...it is where the original Stretch was the chef many years ago and the savoy was his specialty....

Edited by RockADS21 (log)

A.D.S.

Stretches is BYO. Chicken Murphy can be ordered on or off the bone. Be sure to get special pasta with pot cheese that isn't on the menu. When are you going. We'll meet you if we can at Stretches--not Belmont-- but we won't bring a Turley! ; )

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE