• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

mirepoix

Porthos

My dilema: I'm up and out the door at 6 a.m. and return home between 6:30 and 7:00 that evening. When I get home I've just finished driving for at least an hour and a half. Getting something cooked for dinner without taking an hour or 2 is important because there are errands to run, chores to do, before collapsing into bed. Not the life I envisioned but the one I am living for now. (Well for the last 2 decades...)

A partially-done meal example: (to help with the question below). I roasted 4 turkey thighs and cut off most of the meat to portion and freeze for future weeknight meals. I then made a stock with the bones, then removed the rest of the meat from the bones while reducing the stock, then added the meat to the stock. I cooled the mixture and then put in the refrigerator planning on making a soup or stew with this as the base.

The question: There are times when I have already done part of the work ahead of time for the meal I'm going to make. The problem is that I really want a pirepoix for a flavor base to which I'll add the previosly prepped items but don't have the energy or time to chop and cook the veggies needed. If I make up a larger quantity of mirepoix on the weekend and then portion it, vacuum-seal it and freeze it will it have the flavor I'm hoping for or significantly suffer. I realize that I could try it for myself but I figure that someone already has experience with this and can 1) save me the bother if it doesn't work well, or 2) give me the confidence that it is worth the effort as a short-cut to better-tasting week-day meals.

Thanks in advance for your insights,

Porthos Potwatcher

The Unrelenting Carnivore

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

When I worked outside the home and the kids were little (ie get it on the table fast!), I used to freeze mire poix all of the time.

And I still do, but uncooked. Just chopping in advance makes a huge time difference and sweating them just takes minutes.

When I worked outside the home and the kids were little (ie get it on the table fast!), I used to freeze mire poix all of the time.

And I still do, but uncooked. Just chopping in advance makes a huge time difference and sweating them just takes minutes.

I do it and vacuum seal it. Plus just onion and garlic for Mexican. All great for a foundation for a pot of beans.

It's also great because I rarely can use up a whole celery bunch before it goes bad. This solves that problem.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

thanks for the feedback. My first try was to cut up 2 quarts of veggies and then cook them. I sectioned and froze some of it and used some for my turkey-rice soup. I should be trying the first use of the frozed stuff tonight.

Again, thanks for taking the time to give me the encouragement I needed.

Porthos Potwatcher

The Unrelenting Carnivore

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;