• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating the Alphabet, A to Z

Carrot Top

Anchovy

"B Must be for Butter"!

I think "C" has to be for chocolate.

Or how about C is for Cilantro?

D is for dragées

("V" is for Velveeta?) :laugh:

"A is for Asafetida",

but then I'll save it for "H is for Hing"...

E is for Eggplant

"H" has to be for hot peppers!

K for Kalamansi

jar of green tomato pickles

"L" is for "L"ights

I will offer the lowly Mushroom for "M".

crispy mountain snake

Tea.

puff pastry

"M" is for Morels

very delicious pig

Quaker Oats

Ugli Fruit

zachun-oil tree

zahidi

zamang

zamia

zebra

zebrafish

zebrawood

zebu

zig-zag scallops

zucca

zucchini

Zulu nut

zaatar

zabaglione

zakuski

zampone

zander

zedoary

zampino

zeeland (oysters)

zest(e)

zibet

zingara

zwieback

1. Brown Rice

2. Green Salad with Lemon Juice, No Oil

3. Wheat Germ

4. Pressed Tofu Strips

5. Brewer's Yeast

.............................................................................................

Well. . .there are some fine ingredients.

I wonder if someone can write a menu with them.

A menu from. . .

A for Albania

B for the Bosphorus

C for China

D for Dijon

E for Ethiopia

F for France

G for Georgia (US or USSR)

H for Hawaii

I for India

J for Japan

K for Kuala Lumpur

L for Lyons

M for Marbella

O for Oman

P for Pakistan

Q for Qu'atar

R for Russia

S for South Dakota

T for Timor

U for Utah

V for Vienna

W for Warsaw

X for . . .for. . .whatever hits the spot

Z for Zulu

:smile:

( :wacko: )

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Xanadu, where Kubla Khan a stately pleasure-dome decreed!

:laugh:

Yeah, SB. Go for it! :biggrin:

I'm hungry.

:rolleyes:

That with music loud and long,

I would build that dome in air,

That sunny dome ! those caves of ice !

And all who heard should see them there,

And all should cry, Beware ! Beware !

His flashing eyes, his floating hair !

Weave a circle round him thrice,

And close your eyes with holy dread,

For he on honey-dew hath fed,

And drunk the milk of Paradise. - Kubla Khan, Samual Taylor Coleridge

Mmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm

Honey-dew and Paradise milk.

My favorites! :raz:

SB (let alone served in caves of ice with music loud and long! :cool: )

Good old Waverley Root gives

Xanthochephalus - the yellow-headed blackbird, which might make a good pie,

and

Xanthosoma sagittifolium, which is "closely related to the taro", which might make good ...... ?

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

Y if I may

yams

yucca

yuzu

Yorkshire pudding

yabbies

yoghurt

yum cha

etc etc etc

a mini tour of the world in one letter. Will wait for someone else to supply the definitive list :smile:

This is my small story, set in Yunnan province,China, about a young man, a yearning mother and yak butter tea.....

Over the years we have spent a lot of time between mountainous Deqin and Zhongdian on the high empty plains of northern Yunnan province alongside the border with Tibet. My dearest friend there is Suolang, a strong, rosy cheeked Tibetan woman who had sent her small son over the Himalayas 10 years earlier to the Dalai Lama in India. This journey is on foot, illegal, in secret and fraught with danger and Suolang had never had word back from her son.

On my last visit her door was opened by a young man, Suolang's son, back from the dead, laughing and toying with their huge slavering, semi-wild guard dog :huh: (which scares the crap out of me) as he welcomed me inside. Turns out he had only been back 4 days, and when Suolang first saw him she had collapsed and had taken to her bed for 3 days.

However now she was in fine fettle and set about churning the yak butter tea and spooning out tsampa that we sipped at as we listened to the story of Nomnom's incredible journey to India and back, (scaling the peaks past the bodies of people frozen in their tracks, in Adidas sneakers (fakes :smile: ) which he was still wearing :shock: ) In English as he could no longer speak much Chinese, a slight hiccup.

I can manage yak butter tea if I tell myself it is soup :smile:

suggest we serve it as an amuse, in the tiniest of glasses, with a teaspoon of tsampa on the side

Edited by insomniac (log)

I can manage yak butter tea if I tell myself it is soup :smile:

suggest we serve it as an amuse, in the tiniest of glasses, with a teaspoon of tsampa on the side

Ah. . .you have hit upon one of my favorite iconic foods that I have never yet eaten! :biggrin:

And all wrapped up in a wonderful tale.

I've always wanted to have yak butter tea, ever since I first heard of it a very long time ago. No idea why, or even how the idea struck me that it was something that must someday be done.

My son had a friend when he was nine years old, a little boy from Mongolia. An outgoing little fellow (not so little really, strong and solid he was) with a facility for story-telling. He would come to our house to spend the afternoon and would spike the usual sorts of play that little boys do with endless stories of strange creatures he would invent with startlingly odd names. . . imaginary wars set in various parts of the universe and beyond. . .touched in parts by bits of myth and religion. God was a part of his stories, as was Hell and retribution. His imagination was filled with such richness of imagery and action, the lines of the "here and now" blending seamlessly with ancient tales of the ages, his child's mind like the pages of a book, an adventure tale, vivid with life.

I always used to ask him about yak butter tea. "Did you ever have yak butter tea when you were a baby?" I'd ask, as he drank some soda or juice while visiting. "Yak?" he'd always say, puzzled. He never remembered what "yak" meant in his language, each time I asked, so I'd have to make shaggy, furry, large animal movements with my hands and arms to try to show him what a yak was. "Oh, yes!" then he always remembered, and said, "Of course. It tastes okay" in his still-lilting musical English.

I think he forgot on purpose, just to make me act silly about what a yak was. And he felt very superior, in his little-boy way, each time his friend's Mom tried to ask the same question, all about yak butter tea.

I'm not sure, if I do ever have yak butter tea now, that it will be as interesting itself, as he was in his way. But then again, I might look into the cloudy depths of that steaming cup and see the stories of the ages that filled his little-boy mind, the wars, the mythology, the creatures that walk the earth and other places, the good and the evil. I do believe they might all be there to taste, all in that one steaming cup of yak butter tea.

Edited by Carrot Top (log)