• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Esca

foodboy

All they have to do here is cut the fish up and not drown it in oil and salt.  I can do that.  I'm sure Mario can do that.  Someone in Esca's kitchen can't.

You see, that's my thought. That the kitchen was off just this once...

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

You see, that's my thought. That the kitchen was off just this once...

actually, i think that's what they're trying to do.  whether that's right or wrong, good or bad, well, we have to decide.  wilfrid, clearly, doesn't dig it.  i, clearly, don't know any better, and i think it's "pretty neat."

:confused:

The exec chef of Esca, David Pasternak, is doing the Chef column in the Times. This one is on tuna.

Clickety.

19chef.2.184.jpg

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Indeed, I think Cabrales has sampled the dish more than once and had the same reaction, right?  If that's what they're trying to do, I think it's a badly conceived dish, making its way on the tails of Mario's reputation and all the kitsch about authenticity and Italian fishermen.

I look forward to David Pasternak's column on salt cod.   :angry:

Ack. I hate to hear this.

Et tu, Mario.  :angry:  :sad:  :confused:  :biggrin:

Why, man, he bestrides the very world like a colossus.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard a rumor about esca. My girlfriends parents went to eat at babbo a couple weeks. They got into a conversation with the waiter and said they wanted to go eat at the other 2 mario restaurants. The waiter then told them that mario no longer owned esca because of a dispute with the other part owner. Does anyone know anything about this or is this just a crazy rumor started by a waiter?

chopjwu12, did you have the crudo? If so, as a poissonaire, what did you think?

I thought Esca was a joint ownership with Mario having a part interest. I'm not sure if he owns Babbo and Lupa outright or with others and haven't heard of a split up regarding Esca, but then I wouldn't likely until it was reported in the papers.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I thought the same ownership team were proprietors of Babbo, Esca and Lupa.

i think it's being suggested that mario is no longer a part of esca.

No, Tommy. If your read slowly you'll see it's suggested that Mario is no longer involved in Esca because of a dispute with the other part owner. If the same ownership team is involved in Babbo and Lupa, obvious but unlikely consequences would seem to follow.

No, Tommy.  If your read slowly you'll see it's suggested that Mario is no longer involved in Esca because of a dispute with the other part owner.  If the same ownership team is involved in Babbo and Lupa, obvious but unlikely consequences would seem to follow.

that wouldn't require reading more slowly, but rather reading between the lines (of your post).

so wilfrid is saying if the partnership fell through at esca it probably would have fallen through at lupa and babbo, assuming we are talking about the same principals. feel free to use more words...they are free. here at least. :raz:

i think tomorrow's NYT will have something about Mario and his restaurants.

You are correct. The NYT mentions Mr Battali remains a partner in Esca, etc but is no longer a partner in Po.

Nice picture of his home kitchen.

So, Tommy, do you have an idea of what will be in tomorrow's NYT business section? Any stocks we should be looking to load up on, or divest now?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Tommy will let you know this evening what prices will posted in tomorrow's NY Times business pages. How's that?

I thought Mario had divested himself of Po a good number of months ago if not a year ago.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

So, Tommy, do you have an idea of what will be in tomorrow's NYT business section? Any stocks we should be looking to load up on, or divest now?

Is this why Tommy was asking so many questions on what constitutes insider trading over on the Martha Stewart thread? :wink: