• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot foam help

ChefJB

Hello all, I need some foam help or brainstorming. I need to find a way to serve a warm parmesean foam for 80 people, so I need it stable enough to sit for 5 minutes. Before anybody gives me grief for trying to serve foam on a large plated function, it is a coworker asking for help for a very special menu, I did not write it but I think it can be done without too much trouble.

So far I have made the foam base and tried soy lecithin granules 2 TBS per cup and then charged it in my ISI with 2 charges, it gives nice consistency but it is liquid within 1 minute, my next thought is agar, or I have some Gellan? I have never tried foam this way, usually for warm foam I froth with my stick blender and plate it as the server is taking it away. Any thoughts, Xanthan, Methocellulose, etc?

Thanks for any input.

John

I use xanthan for my foams because it gives them some substance and stability while still retaining lightness. I don't know about five minutes though, plus time for eating. I don't have exact quantities because I work in very small quantities in general.

And here's your grief about trying to serve a hot foam during a large plated function!