• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Espesso-not Espresso!

elfin

Anyone tried this yet? It started Sept 12 in Chicago stores. For $2.95 you can get a 'solid' cup of espresso. Espresso mixed with a secret ingredient, sits in a pressurized canister for 12 hours. It is then sprayed into a cup and served cold. It also comes in cappuccino and macchiatto (served with solid milk on the side but in the same cup). Based on preparation, quantities are limited each day.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

• 2 weeks later...

I see no responses to my post. I am not surprised. I have tried to order some of the stuff since my post. Everytime I made a special trip to the Loop location it either has not made it yet, it was not ready (it apparently takes time) or it is sold out. There is no set time when it is served and portions are limited. I may have better luck going to Spain! I asked if it is popular and the reply was "only when we run out". I am getting mad and wonder when and if I eventually I get it will I be disappointed. :angry:

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

It isn't really clear to me what the product is. It's described as 'solid" but it gets sprayed from a can. I'm certainly game to try it but it seems like a gimmick.

Apart from an intensely concentrated coffee flavor all the other crucial and most significant components of an espresso shot are lost within two to three minutes of pulling the shot. But they list cappuccino, machiatto etc. as options.

Do let us know once you try it (should that occur).

There's a post on Louisa Chu's blog about espesso.

There's some speculation there about what the "secret" ingredient is. I'm guessing that it is not gelatine, since that would be a problem for many customers. Maybe some "high tech" starch like Maltodextrin? Adrià certainly has plenty of expertise in using (and marketing) such products.

I tried the Espesso macchiato as the cappuccino was sold out. Apparently the regular Espesso is the least popular as it is not as sweet. It came out from two whippet-like containers that had to be vigoursly shaken before dispensing. One side was the milk foam and the other was the coffee. It had the consistency of hair mousse or shaving cream- more watery than milky. It does lose its consistency similiar to whipped egg whites deflating. It was rich but not sweet. I wanted to add some sugar but felt that the crystals would not blend and it is not supposed to have it. It came in a small cup with a tiny pierced spoon that forced you to take very small bites. I felt it needed a pastry/sweet accompaniment but since it was not liquid it would not quench a thirst or go down like a hot capp or expresso. I am not that anxious to try the cappuccino-I guess the stuff did not WOW me.