• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buyin' Fine Wine

Busboy

A buddy of mine has flipped me a couple of tickets to a French Wine Society tasting/buying opportunity to be held tonight in DC, and I'll probably drop a modest amount of money on stuff to restock my cellars. I would much appreciate any opinions on what vintages or regions to avoid, and which to focus on (ie "'03 Loires suck, but '05 Alsatians rock") and any commentary on producers that are worth seeking out.

A full list of the wiones to be tasted is here. My general approach is to seek out mid-priced wines that can benefit from 5-7 years in the basem ent, but don't need 20 years in climate controlled storage to prosper. Also, alkways on the lookout for the great $10 bottle of quaffing wine which -- given the number of village wines from the South being offered -- may well be there tonight.

Lastly, does anyone know Domaine des Baumard? I am particularly interested in trying their Savenniers.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

baumard's wines are exceptional! i'd jump at the opportunity to buy any of the ones listed, especially if they are discounted for this event. if you like bubbley the cremant d' loire would be a nice "house sparkler" if it's not too expensive.

lvdh imports interesting wines, the "signature series" wines, if they are what i think they are, are cooperative wines from the loire. very good price to value. i've drank several this year.

these are all good to very good producers offered by trustworthy importers, so i wouldn't worry too much about vintage. the only winesd i would be leary of may be 2003 rhones.

A buddy of mine has flipped me a couple of tickets to a French Wine Society tasting/buying opportunity to be held tonight in DC, and I'll probably drop a modest amount of money on stuff to restock my cellars.  I would much appreciate any opinions on what vintages or regions to avoid, and which to focus on (ie "'03 Loires suck, but '05 Alsatians rock")  and any commentary on producers that are worth seeking out.

A full list of the wiones to be tasted is here.  My general approach is to seek out mid-priced wines that can benefit from 5-7 years in the basem ent, but don't need 20 years in climate controlled storage to prosper.  Also, alkways on the lookout for the great $10 bottle of quaffing wine which -- given the number of village wines from the South being offered -- may well be there tonight. 

Lastly, does anyone know Domaine des Baumard?  I am particularly interested in trying  their Savenniers.

You are lucky!

My friends mostly wanna borrow money!

I have all the Baumard wines listed--I like them all--the savenierres is quite good especially the "Papillion"--nice chenin blanc at a good price!

As for vintages--2003 was very hot in most places so the wines at best have a ripeness to them.

Taste some 03's and some 04's see if you notice a difference--depends on your own preferences.

If possible taste each vintage from the same maker.

I like the Morot burgundies--the Beaune 1er cru may be a nice quality wine for the money.

The Guigal Cote Rotie 01 is a very fine wine (should be a bit expensive). Guigal also has a "house" style--overall they make some very fine wines.

Jadot has a house style--if you like it--these wines should be good values as well.

Ambroise also makes some nice wines.

In fact--most of the wines listed are interesting. Nice mix of styles.

I wish I could go!!!

The event was a little fun and a little like work. If you've ever been to a "Taste of [City]" you kind of know the pushing and shoving and mix of people who know what they're doing and the people who don't (and me in between the extremes). Very democratic, but not conducive to introspective swirling and spitting. Plus, after tasting 50 young wines or so (a pittance by serious tasting standards), I'd ingested so much oak that I my mouth felt as though I'd been french kissing cordwood.

There were a lot of tables featuring forgettable swill -- perfectly drinkable stuff but not worth accumulating in quantity. "Tortoise Creek." I think not. And a lot of disappointments. I don't know if I'm just picky or if I have an oversensitive price/(subjective) quality ratio, but there was a reasonable quantity of "you get $30 for this?" stuff.

Biggest surprise was Lois Latour who, for whatever reason, I'd always thought of as kind of a mid-level hack. But we walked (via palate) from Chassagne to Marsannay and on to Chablis and we were impressed, particularly with the whites. I got a half caseof the '02 Chassagne "Morgeot" for $45/per which is not necessarily a bargain but, having paid more for white burgundies I liked less, I was pleased. The steal of the night was a case of Chablis Vaillons '04 for $17 a bottle. I won't embarass myself by attempting winespeak, but to hit that sweet spot between licking a wet rock and sipping fat-ass chard for less than $30 was very nice. (see, JohnL, I don't just bitch about high prices, I bargain hunt, too) :wink:

Was a little disappointed by the Guigal offerings, but plunked down for a case of the cotes du Rhone Rouge for $10/per as an excellent quaffing wine.

The Baumard wines didn't grab me, or grab me enough to buy any on a limited buget,which was disappointing. The "tres Special" Savenniers was intriguing but, in the bustle I just couldn't spring for it. The other offerings seemed a little thin.

And I bought a half-case of Morot Beaune 1er Cru, offered by local legend (I'm not sure how far his reach extends, but he's worshipped like a god in DC) Robert Kascher.

The event was held in the French Embassy, but in kind of an anonymous, modern reception area. The place you really want to get into is the Ambassador's residence, which is across town and lookslike it was shipped in brick-by-brick from the Loire Valley. I've always been intrigued by the idea that the French and German embassies are right next door toone another (as the Turkish and Greek Embassies are). But, if the room was a little austere, the limetless quantities of cheese and charcuterie brought a bit of the campagne into the city.

All in all, less fun than I thought, but educational and, if I could buy a case of "laying down" wine and two cases of "priced like Wednesdy, but tastes like Saturday" wine a couple or three times a year, and have a chance to learn more about good wine, I'd be a happy man.

I'm on the pavement

Sorry it took so long to get back....

If I may ask, Busboy.....what are the conditions in your basement?  Three-five years in a too warm and not humid enough basement can do irrevocable harm to many wines.....

We've been "basementing" our wines -- as oppposed to "cellaring" them -- for going on two decades now and, while I am sure the results are not what they would be had we kept the wines in ideal conditions, we find that they do mature and improve, rather than cooking and dying. Indeed, given that the conditions are warmer than a cellar would be, we may be getting our age and development a little quicker than those with better facilities -- kind of a microwave Merlot effect. (Admit it -- that phrase made you cringe)

That being said, your point is well taken, and we periodically purge the cellar of anything that's been down "too long," try to focus on wines that approach maturity a little more quickly. Rather than start an argument on what grapes those would be, let me say only that we have very little Barolo. We strive for a consistent temperature. And, despite my carping about the high price of first growths, we do keep an eye out for the kind of mid-priced (by oenophile standards) wines that get deaccessioned by quality wine shops at a discount after a few years in the cellars to make way for the new vintages -- a less-known grand cru Bordeaux from a good but not great year, say, that's enjoyed five or six years of high-quality care, and will continue to improve for another four or five in the basement.

most of those baumard wines are years from being ready to drink.that could be why they didn't show well. assuning they were in good shape.

That's one problem with the cattle call nature of the event and with my own inexperience -- hard for me make an informed judgement. And, it's entirely possible that they wines were wonderful, but that Baumard's house style just doesn't grab me.

Guess I'll just have to taste more.

I'm on the pavement